1955 Buick

07 HD

For Sale 1955 Buick Special 4dr Sedan Model 41

68246 original miles, car runs, drives, & stops. Has all new brake system except drums, radiator has been rebuilt, all new tune-up parts & hoses. Car is complete, it is not a rust bucket, worst rust is drivers floor pan, crome is pitted. Great start for a restoration project. To many toys not enough time. $1400.00 O.B.O. email Ted for pictures @ 67rivi@gmail.com car is located in Milw., Wi http://photobucket.com/55buick?albumview=slideshow. area

Edited by 07 HD
I have a brand new fitted carpet (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
$1200 O.B.O. Anybody

07HD,

This is probably not a good spot to expect a high response. Try Craigs List. Any 50's four door sedans are considered parts cars at best - that are not restored or nice driving originals.

I would expect only a minimum amount for your car, maybe $500 or so. As a sign of courtesy, many forum members will not respond to your ad. In my case, I believe it is a courtesy to comment with tact that you will probably not get a response.

I 100% agree that a beginner should buy this car. I have seen much worse for much more. A patch pan can be welded in.

Try Craigs List with photos, and toggle down the price each week until sold. Or keep it.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

This car is in much better shape than my '56, so I do find it tempting. While 4 door sedans don't command the premium dollars, there is a growing demand as the 2 doors, convertibles, and hardtops disappear from restorable condition. My space issues (lack thereof) and cost to retrieve (even though it isn't that far relatively speaking) prevent me from pursuing it.

I know up here there are high school programs that do restoration work as part of their mechanical and autobody shop classes. They will restore then raffle the car off to provide funds for the next project. Of course, the ones I have seen do seem to be taking the easy way and going the resto-mod route. Perhaps there is something like that in your area that would see the car resurrected as well as provide training and exposure for some high school students...just a suggestion.

Firstly it's probably not good to make comments either way on the price someone is asking for their car unless they ask but since my good friend Jake has already offered his viewpoint let me state mine. And please Jake don't take offense, I am really only wanting to make some points about how I look at the value of a car, I'm not slamming your assessment, OK. :)

If this were a 54 and in the southeast, MrEarl would have no problem paying close to the asking. These 4 doors make sweet daily drivers. The fact that it is a " 65K mile, complete. running, driving, stopping, solid car and all the the work that has already been done IE "all new brake system except drums, radiator has been rebuilt, all new tune-up parts & hoses" would make this a very easy "fixer upper". Even the glass looks good which in MrEarl's evaluation book goes a long way. Very little body work and off to Macco for a 599.99 special. And check the nice dash out, even the band along the bottom of the firewall insulation is still there and intact. There is sufficient evidence to prove it is a low mileage car that was evidently stored inside a great deal of it's life. The seller has provided very good detailed pictures already. I would of course ask for quite a few more with my first request being for door panel and headliner pictures. If they proved to be good I'd be on my way with cash in my pocket and trailer in tow.

It's the intended use of the car, the potential final investment amount and what cars like this DON'T NEED that makes them worth buying to MrEarl.

And after all, the seller did include OBO on the end of even his lowered asking price.

I agree with Thriller and Mr. Earl. This car has a lot going for it. I don't think the price is out of wack for the vehicle. The low mileage is a definate plus. With that few miles, you are pretty certain you won't be rebuilding an engine or suspension for a while. One more note to add...the owner has done a lot of the clean up work, which I think adds a lot to the value of the car. Not only can you clearly see the car, both positives and negatives, but you have to consider the amount of time and effort you would be doing yourself had he not done it.

Well it's not the most in demand model or body but as any car dealer will tell you "there's an

ass for every seat". It's really too nice to part out but looking at the floor and calling it a "solid" car is a real leap of faith. I would bet the farm that once the paint was removed and a little prodding with a sharp tool was done immenent rust through would be found in the front fenders aft of the wheel opening, the rockers both inner and outer, and likely in the door bottoms. Not sure of the aft 1/4's since it's a 4 door but I'm sure there's known problem areas there too, especially since the car is from the snowy/salty North.

But if someone's looking for a 4 door sedan project or just a beater/driver it's well worth a grand or so...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

All good points. I think it is one of those cars that would bring a lot of smiles. While the hidden rust might be there, if the price is right a person can enjoy it for years and chip away at it.

In the pictures it looks nice, it's a Buick not a Chevy or Ford. Maybe we should all have one of these so-called non desirable 4 door sedans in our collection. Mr. Earl and Thriller do.

Lamar, that's a nice Roadmaster.

My goal, as always, is to instigate. I don't mind being corrected but I think it says more about a FOR SALE posting when no one comments and sometimes I feel bad for the poster or am just trying to move the price to a more reasonable point and see it end up in a collectors hands.

My non scientific search though shows a number of even 2 door models from the 50's not finding a buyer at ANY price - but Lamar and Thriller make a very good point - that this one is different, it runs and drives.

Big difference between the lawn art I buy and a running and driving car that can transport you back to 1955 in a hurry.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Big difference between the lawn art I buy and a running and driving car that can transport you back to 1955 in a hurry.

Sounds like you and I are a lot alike, although I have a roof over my lawn art...the municipality would be all over me if I didn't.

Now, back to selling 07 HDs '55.

Hi Guys

All very good points I do appreciate you guys looking. I just took a look & none of the glass is cracked, the headliner is all intact no sagging, door panels not ripped but dirty, there is some rust if you really want to take a pick & keep poking (it is a 55) if I could find a high school class around here that would experiment with it I would think about it (they want the little rice burners). I really dont want to part this car out I beleive it is better than that. We all talk about getting the younger generation involved I think this would be a great start for a 14/15/16 year old to start with, drive to school and be the envy of is buddys in school but I dont know anybody that fits that discription. It will be in the October Bugle we will see what happens there.

07 HD,

you are correct, this is NOT a parts car. However, a 54 front clip would swap right out with that 55 and I could probably get almost the asking price for the 55 bumpers, grille, fenders and hood. But... could I ever get anyone to believe that I have the only 54 1/2 Buick known to exist. :D

g'luck with the Bugle ad, someone is bound to appreciate this car for what it is.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 50bomb

wow not to sound like a jerk but you guys are cheap. That is a great price. wat do you want for $1400 a trailer queen? Great Car buddy and dont go less..You got a great car and 4 door is not bad maybe back in the days but we aint in those days and they dont make a classic car anymore like that.

• 3 weeks later...