'65 Clamshell Light resto question?????????

Guest kaptekarev

Guest kaptekarev

<hr><!-- google_ad_section_start -->What's the best way to restore the clamshell headlights on a 1965 Riviera? Did the original mechanism work well, should I restore it to stock? Or is it worth redoing it with new actuators? I've heard the original clamshells didn't work well.

The original setup works well when properly adjusted and maintained. If it was me I would maintain the original arrangement. Yes it can be a source of frustration but usually its from years of neglect, non-use, and/or the handiwork of incompetant mechanics in days gone by.

Of course there can be an exception; for example if your current system is in very poor condition, missing parts, etc, and you happen to be experienced at installing the electric actuators, that might be an attractive option for you. If you have to pay someone to install actuators, you may be further ahead to restore the original system.

<HR><!-- google_ad_section_start -->What's the best way to restore the clamshell headlights on a 1965 Riviera? Did the original mechanism work well, should I restore it to stock? Or is it worth redoing it with new actuators? I've heard the original clamshells didn't work well.

Restore what you have. The key to a long-lasting, well-working system is to ensure that it's adjusted correctly and most importantly lubrication, lubrication, and lubrication and then lube it again.

I used to have a service bulletin which described how to adjust and lube the system, but it's lost; however, your can probably get a copy from the ROA's library.

Buick published several service bulletins on the headlight system but the gran-daddy of them all was a 28 page comprehensive bulletin which includes theory, adjustments and lubrication. The ROA library has this bulletin on disc (thanks Ed Pentico !!) and can be attached to an email for any members requiring this info. Cheers,

Tom Mooney ROA Librarian

Gentlemen,

Congratulations on your initiation into the Clamshell Clan. Henceforth, you shall see dreams (or nightmares) of operating clamshells when closing your eyes in quiet reflection or while at rest. Do not be alarmed. This is normal after initial exposure to "The Bulletin". Perhaps you may find comfort in this old ROA proverb... May your clamshells never fail to open in the dark...and close at the next BCA judged meet. :confused: :D;) Best of luck,

Tom Mooney ROA Librarian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lowrider70
Buick published several service bulletins on the headlight system but the gran-daddy of them all was a 28 page comprehensive bulletin which includes theory, adjustments and lubrication. The ROA library has this bulletin on disc (thanks Ed Pentico !!) and can be attached to an email for any members requiring this info. Cheers,

Tom Mooney ROA Librarian

Tom, are you refering to the 'Review' history CD which is advertised along with other ROA merchandise, near the back of the magazine? If so, how can I purchase it? And if not, would you kindly email me a copy of this bulletin too?? Thanks.

Just finished my clamshell project. I hooked up with Randy Rymal in Michigan to re-build mine before I became a member of ROA. He turned my good core around in 5 days and did an excellent job. He can be a little surly to deal with, but was very good at helping me diagnose to be sure I needed a motor, and helpful hints like removing the hood latch assy, and putting a sheet of cardboard in front of the A/C condenser to prevent damage going in and out. It's a tight fit and requires some finesse. VERY SATISFYING when finished though. I'm sure my girlfriend and all my friends got a big kick out of my insistance they "Come see my headlights" But hey....to me....it's what a Riv is all about!

Art

ROA#12350