Help!!

Don Hudd

Lately my '89 is hard to start first thing in morning of after sitting for an hour or so. Have to crank it for 30 sec or so before it will start. Well yesterday, I was driving about 15 miles when it stalled, would not start for about 10 mins. then it did. Drove home, no problem. Today, other than the hard start in morning, was running fine. drove about 15 miles, stopped at the store, came out, would not start, it would fire, back fire then stall, finally started, but ran real rough like it was not getting fuel, but I drove it on the back roads to get to my office, got 2 driveways away, it stalled and now will not start, it fires, runs real rough, sputters then dies, it is now on the side of the road. Please help!!

Oh, If you're actually on the side of the road, there's probably little you can do out there. Maybe try to somehow get it started to limp home or to a service station, or you're likely in need of a tow. Sorry. Good luck.

Ok, it is not the filter, we took the fuel lines off the engine and am not getting fuel, short of a pump, could it be anything esle, again, hard to start when cold, but before this, started right up if sat only 10 mins or so, longer than that it was hard to start.

Vincent, we just ran a wire from the pos side of battery to the green conector, nothing happened. I assume to key does not have to be on as we went directly from battery, also this would by pass the relay wouldn't it?

Thanks,

Don

Vincent, we just ran a wire from the pos side of battery to the green conector, nothing happened. I assume to key does not have to be on as we went directly from battery, also this would by pass the relay wouldn't it?

Thanks,

Don

You should be able to hear the pump run. Have a helper stand back by the tank to listen. Your assumptions are correct.

Guest Bobby Valines

Open the gas cap and put your ear near it. remember it will not run if it already has pressure.

BTW the fuel pump relay is only used for a two second prime on starting, once oil pressure exceeds 4-6 psi, the fuel pump is energised through the oil pressure switch. If the fuel pump relay fails you get extended crank times particularly after sitting.

The green lead should bypass the pump relay and an ohmmeter should read close to ground if the wiring and motor windings are good.