Please help me find 1903 Rapid

Guest SASSGlock2

Guest SASSGlock2

Hi there,

I posted about this in the HC forum, and got indications I am on the right track, but I figure this forum has a lot more folks looking at it.

Anyway, back in the late 60's my Dad helped his friend rebuild/restore a 1903 Rapid. It had 3 or 4 bench seats and open sides, with a flat top that I think was fringed. It was green.

In the late 70's, the friend sold it to (IIRC) Harrahs in Reno. I called them a couple years ago and the lady I spoke to knew nothing of the car. I found on the web that Harrahs sold out to Holiday Inn in the late 70's and HI sold off most of the collection.

So, I'm interested in tracking down the car, and getting a current picture of it. The friend is long passed, but my Dad is still very much alive and kicking, and I think he's get a kick out of seeing that car today.

A fellow on the HC forum said he thought it was on thecover of Antique Automobiles in the 70's. If anyone has the issue, I'd love to see scans of the article.

Thanks!

Donald

Edited by SASSGlock2
misspelled the name of the car (see edit history)

Sure sounds familiar, but my AACA magazines are all packed away (house remodeling). Wonder if the AACA Library might be able to help out. Noticed you are in New Kent, not too far up the road from here. Are you a member of Richmond Region?

Terry

Guest Gary Hearn

I am in Richmond and have virtually every issue of the AACA magazine from 1960 forward in boxes in my basement. You are more than welcome to come look through them (and also purchase them) if so inclined.

Guest SASSGlock2

Terry - I'm not a member, but one of my plans this week is to join AACA and then the Richmond Chapter - My dad was a member (actually chapter president one year) in the 60's and early 70's

Gary - I'd really appreciate that - I'm going to PM you my phone number - Have you always been in Richmond? The Rapid belonged to Pete and Virginia Greene.

Thanks!

Terry, sir, you wonder if our library can help him out?:D Of course, and as a member he would get 1 1/2 hours of free research. Our library has a copy of every magazine we have published and headquarters as well. A quick check of our Index from 1937-1978 does not show a 1903 Rapid. However, there is a Rapid Depot Hack on the inside cover of the Mar/April 77 issue. There is also articles on 1906,1907,1899 but no cover car. (that is an old time photo...not a restored car)

AACA also has back issues for sale as available.

I remember seeing a Rapid bus when I was a kid. It may have been in Henry Austin Clark's Long Island Automotive Museum. It looked like a flat platform with about five or six rows of benches. Rapid became part of GMC in 1910.

Guest SASSGlock2

I found this in an old photo album. Here is a picture of the Rapid from about 1973 or 74. That's my Dad cranking it.

Rapidgoingintrailer.jpg

Just kind of keep it in the back of your minds, and if you ever come across it at a show or museum or something, I'd really appreciate even a current snapshot picture of it.

Thanks,

Donald