driving a zephyr

Mssr. Bwatoe

Do any of u computor geeks actually drive your lincoln?? with a V-12?? on the freeway?? Can these cars be driven " normal" or are they museum pieces for

senior citizens??

The Zephyr mag has even featured "trailers" and tow vehicles. What the??

Should I get a Packard??:confused:

Here goes: The Zephyr you picture is a '41 owned by Jake Fleming, and he drives it all the time. And there were plenty at the Gathering of the Faithful that were drivers, so not sure what "Zephyr mag" gave you that impression. Finally, I'm 46 for what it's worth.

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

Guest friscozephyr

I drive my 39 LZ Sedan on highways all the time. I live in Marin County California (about 30 minutes North of San Francisco). I recently drove it up to the gorgeous Napa wine country. I have always driven my LZ to to any "events" and have never used a trailer or flatbed. I'll be posting some event photos soon.

I bought my LZ when I was 41 and I am now 47.

yeah I know jake, I thought it ironic that the most driven car in the club is pictured on a trailer...

I bought my car when I was 13, I'm 48. No mothballs please..Chad C. told me back in '89 in Dearborn that the cars and members were too old to drive anymore...Dave C. in the twotz says they are not safe on CA roads.....

I drive my '66 Mustang with disc brakes regularly, but everyone assumes you have the same braking and handling abilities as new cars, which we frankly don't. I don't mind highway speeds, it's the congested roads that are problematic. I live in NC, and there are enough country highways to get me where I need to go. I don't find interstate driving interesting anyway; I'd much rather go the backroad route ;)

Guest DADDIO65

Heck I just got mine going and it purrs @ 60 perfectly.... And I'm 43. So they are not a senior citizen car!! I would imagine that the interstates might be a little more hectic in Omaha but I think the car would do fine in the interstate.

Guest german37zephyr

I got my Zephyr checked out by the German TÜV for road certification and it passed. So I guess I'm allowed to go 95 mph. I would never do so, but I feel save enough to go on the normal roads and drive within regular traffic. My thought about the safety on those cars is, that people see you look at you and run into a tree or something... No, but seriously, the problem with those cars and safety are, that you are not safe in them because of the stiff body and the nice thin steering wheel, no belts, no airbags, ... And the other drivers on the roads aren't safe, because if you hit them their cars get smashed pretty bad... Btw. I'm 32.

Jeff, You might remember that the only time Jake Flemings '41 Zephyr was on the trailer was for the "Photo Opportunity" introducing the "new" Mark LT truck. (Actually a fancy Ford F-150 with a Lincoln name plate).

Jake DROVE his car from Dallas to Austin (round trip) for the photos.

Jake also drives his car from Dallas to Salado (Texas) nearly every year for the informal LCOC spring meet.

I drive our '39 Zephyr convertible quite regularly, but not on the Interstate. These Texas drivers are too crazy! The Zephyr will run 70+ with the Columbia Overdrive but I'm a little leery of the vintage Firestone 7.00:16 tires.

The '41 Continental doesn't get out much because it has no overdrive and the 15 inch radials that the previous owner installed make the engine run in a frenzy above 60 MPH. As soon as I can get an overdrive and some fresh 7.00:16 tires on the car, it will get out more often.

post-31768-14313809191_thumb.jpg

post-31768-143138091912_thumb.jpg

I have enjoyed visiting with Jake at the regional Salado meets in the past, but this year the Salado meet was the "L&COC CENTRAL NATIONAL" meet and was infested with late model "used cars". Jake didn't show up this year.

I left my early cars at home and drove our '97 Town Car because the LCOC doesn't allow ANY unregistered cars on or near the judging field. The registration fee for display is the same as the fee for competition and I have a LARGE problem with having to pay money to let people look at my car!

I miss Rolf too. He gave up the forum about a year ago and I understand that he's not doing very well, although he still advertizes stuff in TWOTZ.

I have one of the Mark LT posters in my shop too. Got it from the local Lincoln dealer when they were finished displaying it.

If you're interested in seeing some nice late model Lincolns, take a look at my Webshots photo album at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/571352019hnpHNK

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

Speaking of driving, here's Ed Spagnolo and Augie Vagnini of Color-Ite giving the car a "shake out" on the roads today. Some brake adjustments to go and a couple of minor things, and it should be good to go. I've had to stay in NC because of work, but am heading up the Saturday after next. Woohoo.

post-31207-14313809231_thumb.jpg

post-31207-143138092314_thumb.jpg

post-31207-143138094537_thumb.jpg

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

I drive my Zephyr everywhere, I try to hit a show every week ; at least one.Tt's a1938 conv . coupe that took me 34 years to finish. I was so

long without a car that I guess I'am playing "catch up" . I have a'97 150

but do not have a trailer. In Maryland the high speed roads are just like

anywhere else. Everyone drives 5-10 Mph over. The car does not have a

2 speed rear, 55 feels good; the rear is 4:44. Above 55 , it feels like the pistons are ready to scatter. We have a lot of back roads and I use these

all the time. I'ave been active in the AACA/CB region for over 45 years and

also active in the Early V8 Ford/ National Capital #36. I'am charter member

of the Zephyr Owners(#86) but have been to 1 National Meet, that was

Uniontown , PA. in '07. The others are a little too far. So ...... drive those

Zephyrs!!!! Larry

I chatted with long time member Ford expert LZ parts guy Rolf Burdette, He spoke of driving hi prewar v-12 across country, no od 75 mph + the whole way...kinda like a modern 4 banger

3-4 grand and away we go!!

I can do about 80, but I dont for long periods. but it seems like it could. I think prewar road conditions, pre intertstate system that low gear was ok..lots of passing on 2 lane roads..The columbia makes highway travel a pleasure...If you like to cruise..gotta get one..problem is car is too fast for it's own good.

Guest 48DLX

Hi everyone, this question is related to driving so thought I would ask. My neighbor has a 41 Continental and thinks it is noisy when driving the car. This car doesn't have any insulation under the hood, was there insulation there when the car was new? Are there any other areas that we might check to see if we can quiet this down? I have other cars from the 40's and this V-12 is noisy compared to them. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dave

I can't answer regarding the hood insulation, but there are *many* reasons why the car might be louder now ==> different exhaust system, exhaust leaks, deterioriating sound deadener on the firewall and under the carpet, etc.

Let's put it this way: Every restored Continental I've seen was quiet, even when you were standing over the open hood. Something is amiss.

The car was restored??? undercoating removed?? detailed?? minimal tar insulation factory, under hood jute / cardboard padding on firewall, jute and carpet is all the factory used..

My 40 restored is louder than my friends 40 original...reminds me of the old schoolbus when i was a kid..no whines or bad noise..just machinery.

I would get some sound deadner padding..(chk macs ford catalog) has heat and sound deadener..gotta help.......(I assume basic competence re; engine / trans mounts renewed, exhaust not laying on frame...body panels tight..etc.....

Guest 48DLX

Thanks for the replies, this car was restored--There is nothing under the hood now and that is the easiest place to start. I have some black dynamat type stuff that I will help him with in the next few days. Not sure about the firewall, carpet etc but will check on that as well. Thanks

Do any of u computor geeks actually drive your lincoln?? with a V-12?? on the freeway?? Can these cars be driven " normal" or are they museum pieces for

senior citizens??

The Zephyr mag has even featured "trailers" and tow vehicles. What the??

Should I get a Packard??:confused:

Mssr.Bwatoe, I tried to answer you several days ago, but with this new format I did something wrong. I have owned and driven 3 HV12 Lincoln

Continentals and Zephyr since 1965. They were built to drive! I have finally

finished restoring (2004) a1938 Conv Coupe, 3 passenger.Purchased in 1972.

It has the HV12 , 4:44 rear; no Columbia rear. I take it to a show about one

every weekend. I use back roads here in Maryland. The best speed that feels good is 53-55 mph. Anything higher , it sounds like the engine is going to scatter. I do not have a trailer and only a v6 Ford 150. So it gets driven. I still

run light bulbs in the head lights and the brakes are complete rebuilt mechanical (cable). I did add hidden turn signals(led lamps 6v)So drive it and

change the oil! Larry

And I'll testify that Larry's '38 is in fantastic shape. If I recall, it's one of the rare '38 coupe convertibles (no rear seat). I was talking to Ed Spagnolo earlier today, and they are still working on balancing the pull of my mechanical brakes. I suspect it's one of those things you have to tinker with until the shoes wear in and the drags across the wheels stabilize.

I use to drive mine on the freeway here in Calif. with the O.D. kicked in it would cruise at 75-80 all day long and get 18-20mpg doing it. I need to get radials for it to drive on these freeways, they are worse than the dirt roads in Oklahoma. I do drive my Packards regularly on the freeways and use one for a daily driver(41 120 business coupe)

My Lincoln is down right now until I get the cracked block fixed.

If you have it drive it you only live once and cant take it with you, enjoy your hard work of restoring it, ;et your kids reresotr it when you pass it on, at least then you will know if they want the car because they like it or they want it just to make a buck off of your hard work.

post-32161-143138093377_thumb.jpg