1928 Master Six - worn rear spring hinge pin

pepcak

Guys,

sorry for spamming this forum again, has anybody here exchanged the rear spring hinge pin(s)? Mines are badly worn.

I noticed there is a small cross pin so thought about to drill it out and pull the hinge pin out using puller. Is this small pin cylindrical or tapped one? Would this work or is it necessary to remove the whole flange, machine pin out, insert a new one and re-rivet the flange to the frame?

Any advice apreciated.

Attached picture of my 28-49 at "stage zero" and detail of worn spring hinge pin.

Josef

post-42602-143138090884_thumb.jpg

post-42602-143138090888_thumb.jpg

Hi Josef.Remove the smal pin ,put a tube outside the spring hinge pin,a centimeter or more longer than the hinge pin at first ,then a washer to cover the tube with a hole for a bolt that you can use to pull the hinge pin out a little bit,then try a little bit longer tube.You can use the bolt who hold the spring with your first try.I`m quite sure you need to use a welding flame too.

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138091309_thumb.jpg

Leif,

thats perfect. I thought about the same solution when talked about "puller". Will give it a try.

On more question - that small pin needs to be drilled out, right? Its not conical so that could be knocked out.

Josef

Josef, Here is what I did on my '28 Standard to get those pins out. Drill through the small cross pin with a bit smaller than the diameter than the cross pin. This will weaken the cross pin enough to tap it out. There is a hole in each frame siderail that sits behind the large spring support pin you are trying to remove. Put a piece of steel rod maybe 6 inches long through the frame rail hole to make contact with the back of the large pin. Take a hydraulic bottle jack and wooden blocks to span the distance to the opposite side frame rail. With the jack put pressure against the steel rod on the back side of the pin, pushing it out. With the pressure of the jack, I took a pipe wrench and turned the old pin. The twisting with the pipe wrench and the pressure of the jack cork-screwed the old pins out. David

Guest Roger_Roy

Guys,

Just this minute knocked one pin out, it was quite well stuck :mad: anyways mine (1916) is 5 1/4" long x 1" where do we go to find new ones or does anyone know the type of steel so I can get 2 made up?

thanks

Roger

Guys,

Just this minute knocked one pin out, it was quite well stuck :mad: anyways mine (1916) is 5 1/4" long x 1" where do we go to find new ones or does anyone know the type of steel so I can get 2 made up?

thanks

Roger

Roger,

Try Phill Green in Sydney, this is some early stuff he has currently listed on ebay ( Australia )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1916-1927-Vintage-Buick-MASTER-Rear-Spring-Shackle-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem58821a5cd1QQitemZ380139887825QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Guest Roger_Roy

yep tried him, thanks though....... just gave the pin a file , starting to think its just mild steel, anyone have an opinion?

Roger

Mines are out too, ughhh.... Used a combination of push-pull method and flame.

I am going to have made new case hardened, I do believe they originally were. But when they worn the hard surface is off therefore the used ones do not seem to be very hard.

Josef

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)