2009 National

Olds 442

Barring catastrophe I should be there sometime Wednesday afternoon with the gray wagon. Not sure what time I'm leaving here yet- depends on how much I get caught up today and tomorrow. Looks like about 7 hrs drive just assing along off the Interstates.

Off-Interstate driving is better on me and the cars anymore.

Glenn,

All part of my Comedy of Errors trip to the NAOC Nationals. I should write a book. Too much to go into here. Look for me at 7 Springs and I'll fill you in. I should write a book. This car is hexed, and affects everyone associated with it. It's been trouble since Day One, literally.

Paul

How about we pick a time an place on Friday to all tag up? I know I'll be wandering aimlessly otherwise. Look for the black 442 hat and black beard! :D

Glenn, what cars are you judging? We can all get together wherever they are (shoot, he's probably already left!!)

Joe, I'm gonna PM you with my cell phone.

DK

Wayll, a good time was had by all as far as I'm concerned! I spent a bunch of money in the swap meet (biggest prize there was actually for a buddy, a pair of "seat skirts" for his '55 Super 88 {seat skirts are the plastic trim panels that go around the base of the front seat in the '54 - '56 models}), got a bad sunburn, saw some old friends that I hadn't seen in almost ten years (now older friends!), made some new friends, missed a couple of folks but hope to catch up with them soon. The "significant other"'s '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible ran great & turned 100,000 miles on the way to Fallingwater on Friday morning, we had fun riding around in the mountains with the top down. We bailed out and went directly home from there since water was beginning to fall from the skies and the sunburn was getting to me. Hope everyone else had as much fun and got home OK.

Whoops, I forgot, re old friends, a couple of folks had been through some medical hoops since I last saw them... one had DeGaulle Bladder out - you know who you are - glad to see you looking so well... Joe Mondello has survived several major medical events and it was a real pleasure to see him... he still has a lot of miles left on him and looks good too... the guy is a legend as far as I'm concerned, had a nice visit with him. It was very theatrical... he and Mary had a Curved Dash (it actually has a Mondello modification!) on display in the registration area... I didn't know he had one - we were looking at it and reading the signage, when I said, "Oh, hey, it belongs to Joe Mondello!" As if on cue, he walked up grinning... pretty neat!

It looked good! Tubbed, rear-mounted 4-cam 455 with one of those experimental dual-quad manifolds on it & Toronado transaxle... haha... seriously, it did look good, and it is modified... has 2 spark plugs in it. It was on static display when we saw it, so I didn't hear it run. Did those have wooden wheels? This one had spoked ones - I'm not that familiar with them (almost said I couldn't remember!).

I never thought of it before, but I think I'd like to have one of the reproduction ones to bash around in...

They did come with wires in 01, 02 & early 03. The second plug was added many years ago, I ran it with one and it was a major improvement to have two, so I left it. If you have a falure with one coil the car will die, if you have two it will still run.

The car runs great, I took the car to the 2003 Nationals and that is where Joe fell in love with it.

I had a GREAT time !!! Found some goodies at the swap and won Best of Class !!! Can't wait till next year !!

Best of Class??!! Damn, you must have a really nice car - that's a tough class - congratulations!

If the car is _that_ good, what the heck did you need from the swap meet! :)

They did come with wires in 01, 02 & early 03. The second plug was added many years ago, I ran it with one and it was a major improvement to have two, so I left it. If you have a falure with one coil the car will die, if you have two it will still run.

The car runs great, I took the car to the 2003 Nationals and that is where Joe fell in love with it.

Where were the 2003 Nationals, I can't remember! This one last week was the first one I'd been to in awhile... was in Lansing in 2002 and one in Parsippany not long before or after that... but I don't even know when that was! They had one there in 2000 but I think there must have been another one there in 2004 or something like that?

I have some pics of Joe and the car, will post them in the next few days... believe it or not, I haven't even looked at my pictures yet... the "significant other" has better cameras than I do (including a Canon digital SLR) and is quite an accomplished photographer, so I just let her take most of the pictures and will get a CD of the ones she took. I think it was the only Curved Dash there... at least the only one I saw as of Thursday evening. There was a '27 there, pretty sure it belongs to the Staleys. Lots of nice mid-'30s also.

Edited by OldsDoug
Added last 2 sentences. (see edit history)

I didn't really NEED anything but I'm always on the look out for good items for future projects.This was my first time showing at an Olds National and I really enjoyed it.The cars were fantastic and the judges were very nice.They talked and joked with me andhad great comments on my car.Much more open and friendly than what I normally see at other shows!!