38 Dodge Business Coupe - air cleaner

Guest MelJan

Guest MelJan

Hi folks - I hope you can direct me to a site / picture / or any other info you have on what the original air cleaner looked like for a '38 Dodge Business Coupe. The one I have is an oil bath system (with no air filter per se), and has been chromed. I do not believe it to be original, and since I am trying to keep the vehicle as stock, I am trying to locate info on what I should be looking for.

Assitance / info / advice / anything else you might know is helpful.

Cheers

Guest MelJan

Ok - I definitely do not have the original air cleaner. Mine looks similar in outside shape but the top does not come off like it shows in the picture, and there is no insert inside it. The unit is in two pieces, and the top comes off with an inner section attached to it. It appears the air goes in through a 1/4" gap between the top and the side, then goes downward through an oil bath, then up again into the carb. Seems odd to me, but it supposedly came off a 1940's vintage.

Does anybody have a lead on an original air cleaner???;)

The filter in the photo is a mesh filter. You are supposed to wash it out periodically in cleaning solvent, then soak it with oil. The oily mesh traps dirt.

The type you mention is the newer type. The incoming air is directed downward where any dust or dirt is supposed to hit the oil and get stuck. Then the air goes upward through a mesh filter where any remaining dust gets stuck.

If you examine the top part closely you should see some mesh or horsehair stuffing inside.

Do not use compressed air on these. Swish them around in kerosene or varsol every few years then let drip dry.

When the base gets full of dirt clean it out and refill to the line with 50 wt motor oil. Pour a little of the oil into the upper filter before you put it back on.

On today's roads you only need to service the air filter every 5 years or so. Check it once a year. Keep the oil level up and only clean it out and service it, if the oil reservoir is more than half full of dirt.

Guest MelJan

Great advice and info - thanks. I understand that when the previous owner tried to get Collector Licence Plates in British Columbia, he almost wasn't able to because the air cleaner was not original. Whenever a car is sold, the new owner must reapply for the Plates, hence my interest in getting an original air cleaner. I will likely put this current one back on, and drive the car temporarily, but will be looking for a "new" old air cleaner. Any tips on where to start looking would be great. I have been looking at all the places I normally am familiar with, but my sources are fairly limited.

• 2 weeks later...

NO!

The original air cleaner has a tub that is 6" high that the top insert fits into. There is also a bolt sticking out of its side to accommodate a support bracket that ties the air cleaner to the head. There is also a heavy duty version that is 7" high. There are several documents that show the correct air cleaner. Do some checking on eBay and 1938 Dodge sites. If you want some pictures let me know with your email address.

tomhorn@rcn.com