3800 crankshaft removal

ourreatta

I always use a chain wrench to hold the pulley whilst unbolting. Another alternative is to remove the oil pan and jamb a wedge of wood between the crankshaft journal and the block.

I assume you're not able to get a 1/2" drive air impact in there. If you are that will easily remove the bolt.

If not try holding the flywheel with a flywheel turning tool or simply wedging a large screwdriver in the flywheel teeth. Remove the access cover or the starter to get access.

impala

Guest carlnut50

Use a socket and pull handle. Let the pull handle lay against the frame and start the engine about half a rev with the switch key. I have done this many many times and no problems.

The problem with using an impact wrench or even the starter to loosen the balancer bolt is that unfortunately none of these ideas help when you reinstall the balancer and need to TIGHTEN the bolt. 160 ft-lbs will still turn the engine over. The correct way to hold the crank (for both loosening and tightening) is to use either a flywheel holder (Kent-Moore has a variety for GM engines, which show up frequently on ebay) or a balancer holder. I made a balancer holder very cheaply by getting a spare crank pulley from the wrecking yard and welding a piece of pipe to it. Now unbolt the original pulley, bolt on your homemade tool, and torque away.