FLAG DAY

serb

June the 14th, Flag Day.

We will be attending the Lake Erie Region of the AACA show today. It is a great sunny day with only a slight chance of some scattered rain. We went last year with the Riv and this year are taking the '46. It was a great show with many, many different models, makes, etc, etc.

Looking forward to the show.

Stevo

Happy Flag Day! The first thing I did this morning was to put the flag out. Interestingly, when Truman designated a day to be Flag Day, there were 48 stars on the flag....exactly what we have on our flag.

post-37352-143138083246_thumb.jpg

Sorry to say, but, I saw very few flags out today, was very disappointed. I have one out permanently, with a lite on it at nite, as you are supposed to do. Daily, I also put one out down by my mailbox, on a 12 foot pole, and bring it in every nite, as you are supposed to if you don't have a lite on it. I hate to say it, but, I don't notice the reverence that one should have for 'OUR GRAND OL' FLAG'. The last thing that I did, when I left the BCA board last July, was to make a motion that all BCA events start out with the "PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE", and it passed 'unanimously'. And now, we start out all our local chapter meetings with the "Pledge of Allegiance", as we do in the Kiwanis Club meetings. Thanks, Paul

So true! Not much support and respect for what our flag stands for. I grew up in a small central Illinois town and my dad was a merchant on the "square". Each business had a receptacle in the side walk to hold the flag pole. My dad would be up early on June 14 (plus all of the other designated days) to drive to the store and get his flag up wtih ALL of the other merchants. It was a beautiful site! As a boy scout in this same era we were active in getting flags out on as many residences as we could. Unfortunately we do not see this enthusiasm today!