'29 Hupp gas gauge question

Guest Dean_H.

Guest Dean_H.

My gas gauge has a 1/8 inch copper line that runs back to the tank. Do I need to do anything special with the line or can I just hook it up, and the gauge will work? Seems like someone told me to fill it with oil, but not sure.

Thanks for any help.

Dean,

Sounds like you have a Hydrostatic Gas gauge commonly used on 32-35 Early Ford V-8 and others like 1928-1931 Lincoln. The copper line permits air to be pushed from the sending unit when gas is added into the tank to the gauge which pushes a red fluid up a clear tube indicating the level. The red fluid has a density of four times gasoline thus will respond at one quarter the rate than the pressure in the tank (four inches of gas in the tank should correspond to one inch movement of fluid in the gauge). Do a search on these types of gauges for more info on how to set them up.

Chris

Guest Dean_H.

Thanks for the help.

My gauge has a needle like a modern gas gauge, but with a copper line instead of wires on the back. I've seen the gauges with red fluid in other cars, but this gauge isn't like that. It must have a small bellows that moves the needle when pressure changes. I wonder if it's just air in the line?

Dean,

I haven't seen a gauge like that but suspect that air is still the means that moves the bellows. Exotic gases weren't really available or used in that era. Tread caefully as you go so not to damage the gauge. Suggest using a hand pump as an air source, the type used for basketballs, etc. Harley Davidson also has a neat little hand pump for their air shocks. Like the hydrostatic system, main cause for failure is air leaks. Make up a jig that will leave air (3-5 lbs) in the line, hence a leak down test. Please report back what you find, it will help us all and include a photo.

Chris

I would simply use the instructions for connecting the hydrostatic type. I cannot imagine that the sender unit is any different.

Guest Dean_H.

I hooked it up but haven't filled the tank to test it. The line was clean, I blew compressed air through it. I also had the sender unit out of the tank and it looked good. It simply is a tube that extends into the tank, with a small inverted funnel at the bottom. I didn't test the gauge but the needle moves freely, it settles to 1/2 tank when not connected. I would suspect it'd need to be connected with the fuel tank level at a certain point. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out with a little trial and error.

Here are a couple of pics of front and back.

gauges1.jpg

gauges.jpg

Dean,

The sending unit sounds right for a pressure system. I would have expected the gauge needle to be at zero without any connection to the tank and not 1/2 tank. The air system can only push air (pressure) and not pull, so it can only start at zero and go higher. The bellows may have an adjustment or can be gentley bent the correct way to compensate.

Guest 1928Packard526

Dean —

Here is some information on Hydrostatic gas gauges used on many cars from '27-'35. I expect you gauge is a derivative of that sort of system, which means the attached article may not directly apply, but should be useful as a general source for the type. The first article is from the July '76 issue of Skinned Knuckles. The second bit is a small blurb I found on the "care and feeding" of such gauges. Lots of luck!

Pete P.

post-50405-143138082975_thumb.jpg

post-50405-14313808298_thumb.jpg

post-50405-143138082985_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete, for that info.

My 32 Nash uses that same gauge with the exposed bulb in back of the dash gauge. I had no clue how it worked.

One former owner cut the very tiny copper line at the lower firewall, so he could pull the body off. I just assumed it was ether in that line.

The sender info and pic will help me out as well. THANKS!

• 5 months later...
Guest B1rdman

make sure each end of the line has no leaks.

and check to be sure the solder joint is good

i worked on mine and the gage started working after a rough road

had shaken the gas around in tank.

gene