Cooling System Flush

Guest AarOn!

Guest AarOn!

Hey everyone. It's me, Aaron again. How do you go about performing a cooling system flush? I have seen my father do it before when I was younger, but don't quite remember. I have the 1989 Buick Riviera. The Coolant overflow tank is filled with nasty gunk....I plan to disconnect that and clean it with a brush when I get the chance. I don't want any gunk of course in the cooling system....do I just use a garden hose to flush everything out? Anyone know the specific procedures to flush the radiator/cooling system out? Any help would be gladly appreciated.

I just use a hose. First disconnect the lower hose and drain the system (dispose of properly, antifreeze is poisonous to animals), the remove the thermostat and flush both ways with a hose until every thing runs clean for a bit.

Drain again and fill with distilled water and antifreeze (I consider 50-50 mixes silly).

I just puch the nozzle in the opening and do not try to seal, unless there is a reason, excess presure is not a good idea.

Guest Richard D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just use a hose. First disconnect the lower hose and drain the system (dispose of properly, antifreeze is poisonous to animals), the remove the thermostat and flush both ways with a hose until every thing runs clean for a bit.

Drain again and fill with distilled water and antifreeze (I consider 50-50 mixes silly).

I just puch the nozzle in the opening and do not try to seal, unless there is a reason, excess presure is not a good idea. </div></div>

What do you recommend for a mix ratio here in Florida?

Guest daveagain909

I buy the cheaper (after mixing) full strength antifreese then mix 2 bottles 50% with water, then use the 50% mixture, have done this for a few years in florida with good results, I also live in N. Carolina and have never had a problem in the winter.

Guest AarOn!

Thanks to everyone! I am going to attempt to do this after I clean that nasty tank out. I'm going to consider that Prestone kit as well :-).

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daveagain909</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy the ... full strength antifreeze then mix 2 bottles 50% with water, then use the 50% mixture... </div></div>

They will gladly sell you VERY high-priced water pre-mix, if you can't add your own.

Two things are important in antifreeze, a rust inhibitor, and water pump lube. That's why I like to keep my concentration up. Not only is it an antifreeze, it is actually a coolant as well.

A little trick AarOn,,,

Take the tank off, cover the bottom hole, add a few ozs of your favorite heavy duty cleaner (I use red industrial cleaner) to the tank ....add a regular red shop towell or any type of rag (just stuff it in the tank with the cleaner), fill the tank about 25 - 33% full of water, shut the cap (remember...you have the bottom hole shut off with your finger or other device), and shake like heck for 12 - 24 times....rinse and you will be amazed - looks like new smile.gif.

Blow out or air dry the tank and re install...

Guest AarOn!

Hmmm....thanx Nic. I will give that a try.....though I currently don't have any heavy duty cleaners around the house....the residue in the tank is really dark and greasy....I have no clue what it is.

I use approximately a 40-50% mix in Fla, as mentioned it does a lot more than just prevent freezing - for one it also raises the boiling point. Usually just put a gallon in the empty system and then add water. Have never had any problem.

A gallon of distilled water is about 78 cents & full strength antifreeze is about $8/gal at the moment. Math is easy. 50/50 is just added profit in the middle.

Guest Richard D

What do you recommend for a mix ratio here in Florida?

Ok, Now I understand. I have never used the premix stuff, I use the full strength and distilled water in a 50/50 or there about mix. I also read that using water from a softner is bad, can damage the different metals in a cooling system. Anybody else heard this?

Richard

Guest simplyconnected

At the expense of being a pain, allow me to remind everyone:

NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF ANTIFREEZE.

If you have orange, keep it orange. Some folks think, buying more expensive products means they are helping their car.

Mixing ORANGE and GREEN antifreeze turns to MUD, your water pump can not circulate mud, so your engine will overheat.

Put big stickers under your hood showing which kind is in your car (I cut a small piece off the coolant jug and I use packing tape to secure it). If someone brings it to the quickie-lube, there should be NO excuse for the guy to top-off with the wrong kind.

Guest jcc3inc

Chas1,

Yes, the 50/50 mix does have a higher boiling point. You can either mix it yourself (less expensive) or but premixed for more $$.

Regards,

Jack C.