Tach in 65' Riviera

Ron Luchene

With the exception of the shift lens I believe the majority of the console components are the same so I don't see why not. I had my tach modified by H&M Instruments out of Greenville SC so that it would work with electronic ignition or points. They did a nice job cleaning up the dial as well!

There is more of a difference between a '64 and '65 console than the lens. Because the '65 has three forward detents instead of the '64's two, the center part of the console is longer, and the diddy box is shorter, but the sections of the console in which the tach is mounted are the same on both '64's and '65's so mounting one shouldn't be any different.

The bottom picture also shows the location of the switch for ther rare rear defogger; on the console between the light switch and the wiper switch. Outwardly, this looks to be a highly optioned car, any other information on it.

Guest ZombyWoof

No further info...was just window shopping for Riv pictures.

I have the rear defogger as well. Apparently, it was a more popular item in the damp West...Washington State, British Columbia, etc.

My '63 has almost every option on it except the rear defogger. I bought it from the original owner in '82 and he bought it at Pat Murphy Buick in Ponca City, OK. He lived in TX (why he bought it in OK I don't know) so he had no need for the defogger when he filled out the order form.

Attached is a picture of the window sticker.

Sorry, but mine ain't a reproduction, it's jen-u-wine!!! Plus from the dealership he added a purse hook, vanity mirror, floor mats, and handy mats. It also came with a chassis manual, body manual, key knock-out, owner's manual, some showroom literature, and a full service record from day one up to the day I bought it. Plus, there was a 3.91 gear set in the trunk which was in the car when he used to pull his Airstream trailer with it. That meant is also came with a full hitch receiver welded to the frame, electric trailer brakes, and a custom arrangement of Tach, Vacuum, Amp meter, Oil pressure, and Water Temp gauges in the opening where the ash tray was. It had it's own light switch and the ash tray cover would close and hide all of them.

I have every code and price for '63 options; do you think there would there be a market for reproductions?

Alex,

I saw my first '63 Riviera, Spruce Green with silver leather, in Sept of '62. It was under a tarp at the Buick dealership (Stuart Conklin Buick in Hutchinson, KS) where my dad had worked for many years. It was there for the big grand debut of all the new models. I grabbed him and hauled him to the back to look at it and told him we had to have one. He took one look at the window sticker and told me it costs more than he made in a year. The following February I turned 16 and Dad told me he got me a '63 Riv for my birthday; it was in the garage. I ran down the hall, ripped open the garage door, and sure enough there was a '63 Riviera - 1/25th scale (I still have it, too.) He had a really good laugh at my naivete'

Ed

Guest ZombyWoof

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, but mine ain't a reproduction, it's jen-u-wine!!!

Ed </div></div>

Ed: Only meant to get the reproduction for myself...not meant as a comment on yours.

ZW

I knew that, I was just rubbing a little salt into the wound that I do have an original; trying to create some envy. wink.gif Sorry if it came off otherwise.

I've seen the repo blanks that are available and know all the info needed to reproduce them. My younger daughter is quite good with graphics and I would like to try to make up some.

If someone were to do this, do you think there should be some disclaimer on it that states that it is a repo and that the original car may not have been delivered as "listed?"

Ed

Guest ZombyWoof

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RivNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ZW

I knew that, I was just rubbing a little salt into the wound that I do have an original; trying to create some envy. wink.gif Sorry if it came off otherwise.

I've seen the repo blanks that are available and know all the info needed to reproduce them. My younger daughter is quite good with graphics and I would like to try to make up some.

If someone were to do this, do you think there should be some disclaimer on it that states that it is a repo and that the original car may not have been delivered as "listed?"

Ed </div></div>

All is good!