1956 Packard Clipper wheels - need opinion

Guest BHR

Hi there - Some of you might have seen my other posts about trim rings and clips to hold the rings on. Long story short, Discount Tire broke and threw away my trim ring clips so when I get these new Coker wide whitewalls, I'm not sure how I'm going to get my trim ring onto my wheel.

I was thinking about working around this problem by getting these Packard style wire wheels (see second picture) from Coker or Kanter. With this wheel, I wouldn't need trim rings or have to get anyone to create new clips, since this replica wheel doesn't need a trim ring.

Here's my question. Will these Packard style wire wheels (not originals - replicas) make the car look less authentic? Or will I be able to fool the casual car enthusiast into thinking that they're just really nicely restored wheels? Should I do as much as possible to keep my original wheels and trim rings? I guess I'm worried that someone will see my Packard style wire wheels (if I get them) and say, "It's a nice car but too bad the wheels aren't original."

Thoughts?

Ben

clip1.jpg

First pic is what I have now. Rusty trim rings, only a few trim ring retainer clips left (enough for only one of my four wheels), hubcaps, and semi-rusty wheels (all original).

packard-wire-wheel-large.jpg

This is what I'm thinking about getting so I don't have to worry about rusty wheels, rechroming my 4 trim rings, and having to find 9 trim ring retaining clips.

Guest abh3usn

I'd try and go with the full wheel covers. I love dash in these cars. A much under-appreciated Packard, especially since they also had V-8s. -Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BHR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here's my question. Will these Packard style wire wheels (not originals - replicas) make the car look less authentic? Or will I be able to fool the casual car enthusiast into thinking that they're just really nicely restored wheels? Should I do as much as possible to keep my original wheels and trim rings? I guess I'm worried that someone will see my Packard style wire wheels (if I get them) and say, "It's a nice car but too bad the wheels aren't original."

Thoughts?

Ben </div></div>

IMO definitely don't go with the wire wheels:

First, they're Packard wheels with the Packard red hexagon in the middle--not the ship's wheel center of the Clipper wheel covers (or the stamped in "Clipper" designation on yours.

Second, NO '55 or '56 Clippers (or Packards for that matter) were available with wire wheels. You may have seen the "wire" wheel covers that were standard on Caribbeans. What you'll basically have with real wire wheels is an "oddball" combination that most anyone with a passing interest in V8 Packards will know is not original. This may not bother you if you're not into originality, but another problem is that full wire wheels are notoriously prone to flex and affect handling. These may be somewhat better with new fabricating techniques, but they'll still be a b*tch to keep clean.

The trim rings and center hub caps are more rare than the full wheel covers. if they are correct for your '56 Clipper model (they might not be--they could've been replacements) then why not keep them? Fixing them up will probably be cheaper by far than the wire wheels.

Meanwhile, go on a Packard forum for more input. Ask if the covers you have are correct for your Clipper. Someone probably knows where you can get clips that will work, too. The old ones were probably shot anyway--you haven't lost much, and you've learned a valuable lesson: that chain tire stores are not the place to have work done on vintage tire/wheel/trim setups.

I hope you fix the ones you have, especially if they came with the car. Seeing something different, yet correct, is always a pleasant surprise. I have never seen that style wheel cover on any V8 Clipper--and I've looked at a lot of those cars.

I will put my 2 cents in, since it is not my car or money(!), and say stay with the original. Anything that deviates from it lessens both the dollar and historical value.

And, as has already been pointed out, finding the clips and having the originals refinished has to be cheaper than a new set of after-market wire wheels.

Thanks for the input!

1) Can someone tell me what "full wheel covers" are? Is that what I currently have (see pic in original post). If not, can someone post a link to a close-up of a wheel cover?

2) I'm now looking for someone who could do some tire, wheel, and trim ring work in the Greater Houston area. I'm willing to travel outside of Houston if the person's good enough. If no ideas, can anyone recommend an expert outside of Houston? I can always ship parts outside of Houston, I suppose.

BHR

1. Just look at the wheel covers in the posted photos of Clippers. They're all "full wheel covers." Like I mentioned, you'll hardly ever find a set like yours. Someone smarter than me can tell you if they were offered on '56 Clipper models.

2. I would think that what you're looking for is an outfit that does chrome plating. The rims appear to be plated metal, hence the rust. The center caps, not so sure, they almost look like they could be aluminum and if so, they should stay that way--just polish 'em and paint the centers. Packard Red for the hexagon (probably a standard color number) and it looks like black surrounding the "Packard Clipper" stamped letters. Fairly tricky stuff, but a good DYI job if you have the patience.

You can find lots of advice about chrome plating services on the forums. It's not cheap, so make double-sure that the parts were originally chrome plated and not polished stainless or aluminum.

A "full wheel cover" is a one piece unit whereas a dog dish or bottle cap style sometimes has a beauty ring around the center cap (two pieces). Yours would be the latter of the two types mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Leif:

That is one gorgeous car. You must have taken that picture on the one day in Sweden that had enough sunshine to be able to lower the top.

Guest boettger

Leif,

Great picture of the Packard. Pretty interesting looking at the other vehicles in the second picture. There is an Edsel, A Chevrolet Pick-up Truck and a couple of late model Mustangs. With those vehicles in the background your picturecould have come rom any city in the United States. Fun to note how small the world really is!

I just unpack my storage unit and move it to the house.

I have some 8 NOS Hubcaps that match your cars you can have them $50 a set of 4 plus shipping and handling. at cost. Some are still in original Packard paper wraps some not.

Packard Joe

• 3 months later...
Guest chief tin cloud

Some years ago I also thought about mounting them on my '56 Packard Executive, which is technically a twin to the Custom Clipper.

IIRC, these repro wire wheels will not fit junior Packards, or at least need much reworking.

Be sure to approve fit before you buy a set for your Clipper.