rear wheel removal

Guest ozziedodge25

Guest ozziedodge25

G'day guys ,

new to the forum ,I have a 25 dodge tourer with wood spoke wheels that are refusing to come off the axles .

Any suggestions ?

I had the same problem as you with my '29. I think back in the day there was something called a wheel puller which you would thread onto the axle, tighten and the wheel would pop off (don't know why). I didn't have a tool like that; I put a rag on the end of the axle, then a pice of wood and tapped at it with a hammer; the wheel then came off. I'm sure on this board there are others with better methods as I'm no real mechanic.

With the proper hub puller it will come off. Sometimes it comes off with a "bang", so do not stand in front of it when you pull it off. I have seen them fly across the garage. I have also seen them go "pop" and just fall off. Some guys have tried it a different way where they loosen the axle nut slightly and go for a drive around the block and it loosens. That method scares me a little for fear of damaging the axle or some other parts.

Dana, I'm not sure that will help. At least bolted to the car you won't have to chase it around the floor. Does you puller thread on where the hubcap goes and pushes against the axle? That's how it should work. Are you sure the brakes are not binding the drum? Put it back on, tension the puller tight, and give the end a wack with a good sized hammer. My keys were shot when I pulled mine apart. Don't use the junk hardware store keystock, it is too soft. Get a good piece of cold rolled steel from a machine shop.

I purchased a large torque nut that screwed on to the hub. Then I got a large wheel puller and attached to nut and tightened pushing on the axle. I even used a 4 ft. cheater and tightened as much as I could, then fired up the torch and heated her up. The end result was I bent the nut over. This thing is really on there. I have already done the other three wheels with no problem and all the brakes are done except this one. This explains why the brake line was cut and folded over. Must have been fun to drive. Try that now days. Was wondering if the axle can come out if I remove rearend and undo from member?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dana J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased a large torque nut that screwed on to the hub. Then I got a large wheel puller and attached to nut and tightened pushing on the axle. I even used a 4 ft. cheater and tightened as much as I could, then fired up the torch and heated her up. The end result was I bent the nut over. This thing is really on there. I have already done the other three wheels with no problem and all the brakes are done except this one. This explains why the brake line was cut and folded over. Must have been fun to drive. Try that now days. Was wondering if the axle can come out if I remove rearend and undo from member?</div></div>

I can't see where taking the rear end out would help. Won't you still have the same problem?