Need help w/ power windows........................

Guest smith356

Guest smith356

I know this has come up before...... but, I cannot archive anything on the subject - why is it so difficult ??????

I had my windows down last week on my 90. When I went to put them up- nothing ! Can anyone share their experience and results on fixing this ? Thanks much !

By the way.. after my company put me out to pasture ( I am 60! ) last year, I became an OTR trucker. I'm gone all the time now and don't get to visit here like I used to, but do try and keep current.

Thanks, Jim

Guest smith356

Thanks, Ronnie. From what I can gather, there is no fuse, just a circuit breaker, and I can't determine where that's at. The FSM shows only a wiring diagram.. and I can't tell ying from yang! Is it in console ? Under hood ? In each motor ? Whatever is bad is affecting both windows. Thanks in advance......... Jim

This same question was recently ask. You could have a bad switch, a bad connection or a bad motor.

If the window will not go up, using either switch, then it could be a bad connection. Or bad motor. the factory motor has a thermal switch inside. That could have failed.

Replacement motors are easy to find and very reasonable.

I purchased two on Ebay for about $40 for the pair including shipping and the one I installed seems to be working quite nicely.

Guest CL_Reatta

I think i do remember there being a window fuse on the interior fuse panel on my 90...sorry car is not anywhere near me at the moment..if you do replace the motors though the ebay ones do work good in the summer..but when it gets cold they like to go really slow

Guest smith356

Thanks everyone....

I bumped the door panel yesterday a couple of times and the passenger window went up - but after that, nothing again. Couldn't get it to go up or down. I removed the master switch from the door panel and bypassed the switch - still nothing. Checked to see if it's getting power to the motor -it is. Tried switching circuit breakers around, made no difference. Would bad motor on Driver's stop the the passenger from working, too ?

If bumping the door made something happen I'd check the connector on the back of the door motor.

Other than that the only real answer is to get out a DVM and start troubleshooting.

Guest smith356

you're right - time for the door panel to come off ! Thank you, everyone who has responded........ Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest smith356

Finally got around to getting my door panel removed this morning. My problem is that both windows are inop. When this first happened, both windows were down and when I went to put them up, nothing happened. I tried moving relays around in the console, but that didn't do anything. I then removed the switch plate from the door panel and checked for current - I was getting power to the switch. I also bypassed the switch with no results. In frustration, I bumped the switch plate a couple of times with the side of my hand. The passenger window went up and then was dead again. Drivers never did move. So, both are dead right now and I could sure use some ideas. If the drivers motor were bad, would that also make the passenger inop ?

with the door panels removed, run 12v directly to the motor to see if they work.

You need to determine if your problem is the motors, switches, connectors or something else. You could have multiple problems and you may neet to start replacing parts.

When you disconnect the connector at the motor, put a multimeter on the connector, operate the switch and see what amount of voltage you are getting.

Guest smith356

Thanks, everyone ! Turned out to be a bad ground - all is well again ! Must have lost the ground very close to the switch because everything else worked.. seats, mirrors, lights, etc. Ended up just running a new ground wire from the switch to the door frame - not real professional, but it works !