Reatta Headlights and Passenger Window!

ScarletNGray

Hi folks, and thanks to AACA for opportunity to be on. This is my first Reatta post ever here; so I hope you'll forgive this lay and mechanically-challenged person's questions. I'm sure the veterans here will scratch their heads - lol - so here goes! First, the headlight on drivers side - if it won't stay up is it a motor problem or some other problem; and are used parts online the way to go? Second my power window on passengers's side freezes up when its too hot or too cold and won't open at all. Any thoughts what this problem might be? Your thoughts appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! You must have reading for a while as I see you have posted the year of your car in your signature. Good for you!

The two problems you are asking about are fairly typical to the Reatta.

I would think that you need a new window motor. They are very common and can be purchased for a reasonable price at your local parts house.

The other issue is a little more involved. You need to rebuild or replace the bell cranks for your headlights. Notice I said plural, as when you fix the "bad" side, the other side will then look wrong/bad.

One of our members, Ronnie has put together a website that covers many of the repairs others have encountered. His website is www.reattaowner.com I would advise you to bookmark as it really is an excellant site loaded with "How to" info.

At any rate this is a good start for you.

When you get the time please post pics of your car for us to look at, we would love to see it!

I wrote the headlight repair that is on Ronnie's site and www.reatta.net in 1999. It is good today, the only change is you do not need to make the part show (you can if you want)

At the time, the replacement bellcrank from your GM dealer was $158. About 2 1/2 years ago, GM stopped making the part. I make and sell a steel replacement bellcrank that solves the problem and will last the life of the car...and the price for the KIT (bellcrank, 3 rollers, and up-stop nut) is $45 including shipping and instructions.

Your problem with the window is slightly harder to diagnose long distance. The problem could be one or more of the following.....in no particular order.

(1) it may just need lubrication.

(2) the electrical switch and connectors could be dirty

(3) the motor could be weak and need replacement

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is good today, the only change is you do not need to make the part show (you can if you want) </div></div>Barney, could you please explain what you mean? I don't really understand what you are saying. Do I need to change something in the instructions on my website?

Ronnie.....the instruction are still good and a owner can make the metal part to fix their headlights. However, the metal part you can make in the instructions has its limitations. Thicker material works better and last longer, however when the metal get more than 1/16 thick, you start loosing threads on the motor shaft. The part you make yourself may last a year.

If a owner had tools (milling machine) they could remove 1/18 inch of material from the back of the bad bellcrank and make a thick metal part. Since many owners either have a lack of tools and sometimes the ability to make a part...... I started selling the steel bellcrank and KIT.

With my bellcrank, you take off the old one and put on the new one and your or your mechanic has completed the job. No special tools or making a part.

Guest ipsihk

Welcome to the Forum. It is an amazing source of information and will be most beneficial to you in many situations.

I notice your mention of a headlamp repair problem and, while I also am a relatively new participant on the Forum, as a Reatta enthusiast and former owner of three, I have been working for several years to replicate, rerofit or re-design several no longer avalable parts for the benefit of Reatta owners. The Buy and Sell section of the Forum has been setup as the venue for selling parts and I invite you to view my offerings there. Again, welcome to the Forum and the world of Reattas.

Kingsley

Daves89, Barney Eaton, and Ipsihk - I would like to express my appreciation on your responses concerning my Reatta's driver's headlight and passenger's window. I will followup with all of you later, and thanks for being there to help an amateur - along with all the others you give to so selflessly!

• 1 month later...
Guest My 89 Toy

Barney, not sure if I talked to you a couple of weeks ago. I called from Minnesota about my headlight that won't stay up. I believe you said you make the cranks. I lost your phone number and I can't remember were I found it to begin with. I still need the 2 headlights mechanisms. How do I get a hold of you again?