Another Vintage Vehicle hurts Spectator

Mark Huston

The news report of the antique car accident came out about the time this site went down for upgrades. How sad it is for all parties involved. However; there is an important lesson to be learned here for both collector car owners, and spectators. Don’t remain seated (or standing) behind a vehicle that is backing into a parking space.

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/1860208.html

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Man seated on sidewalk hurt by vintage auto at car show</span>

Published: Thursday, May. 14, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 2B

A man sitting in a folding chair on the sidewalk at a classic car show was struck and critically injured by one of the vintage cars when it jumped the curb.

The 67-year-old Orange-vale man was reported in critical condition Wednesday, Roseville police say.

The injury occurred about 3 p.m. Tuesday on Vernon Street near Taylor Street when a 65-year-old Citrus Heights man was backing his 1941 Chevrolet pickup into a parking space for the Downtown Tuesday Nights classic car show.

When the pickup went over the curb, it hit the spectator, a friend of the driver, pinning him against a building wall. The injured man was taken to Sutter Roseville Medical Center.

There was no indication that alcohol was a factor in the accident.

Roseville police declined comment on whether the accident was driver error or vehicle malfunction. The accident is under investigation.

– Bill Lindelof

Guest Bluesky636

The fact that this accident involved an antique vehicle is totally irrelevant.

On the other hand, the only reason it made the newspaper in the first place was because it involved an antique vehicle.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was a street rod grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Some of these Rat Rods that I've seen have been pretty scary, so you can't rule out a Rat Rod either. </div></div>

And you know it was a street rod how?

I agree about the rat rods, but a good street rod and a rat rod are two entirely different animals.

Guest Bob Call

Whoa! From the above thread I thought we were over being political. Now we're dissing street rods and rat rods?

I'm a rat rod guy. The outside may look old and crappy but underneath it has the latest technology in brakes, lights, etc. The restored and original 30s, 40s and 50s cars I have owned and/or driven really make my rectal sphincter pucker with their horrible brakes and dim lights in todays fast cell phone texting traffic.

There are lots of people like me that appreciate all pre ECM cars be they original, restored, hot rod, street rod, rat rod, or any kind of racer.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Call</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whoa! From the above thread I thought we were over being political. Now we're dissing street rods and rat rods?

I'm a rat rod guy. The outside may look old and crappy but underneath it has the latest technology in brakes, lights, etc. The restored and original 30s, 40s and 50s cars I have owned and/or driven really make my rectal sphincter pucker with their horrible brakes and dim lights in todays fast cell phone texting traffic.

There are lots of people like me that appreciate all pre ECM cars be they original, restored, hot rod, street rod, rat rod, or any kind of racer. </div></div>

I don't know where you are from or what you call a "rat rod," but here is a photo of a rat rod I took at the 2007 Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, CA. Please point out all the latest technology present in this vehicle.

I love all cars: hot rods, street rods, customs, muscle cars, etc. I am not an "antique purist." But these kind of cars have no business on teh street in my opinion.

post-55677-143138074777_thumb.jpg

Guest Bluesky636

I would ride in/drive this one any day of the week. I wouldn't even want to be in the same county as the other car.

post-55677-143138074787_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And you know it was a street rod how?</div></div> I don't. Whether it was a street rod, or a restored car, is totally irrelevant. A vintage car in the eye of the writer could be a 1994. I am poking a little fun at the anti-street rodders (we have no street rods).

The funny thing is it doesn't matter what it is, if someone got killed, someone got killed.

Some of the more recent murders we've had in my county have involved knives and a claw hammer......

No one's trying to close down Lowes laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But if it were a firearm, they'd be all after it..

There's probably more people killed in brand new cars than there are old ones and no one is trying to outlaw them either (nor should they).

Guest Dean_H.

Accidents must be prevented! Let's outlaw rat rods, hot rods, street rods, fishing rods and anyone with the name Rod. And shut down Lowes for good measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accidents must be prevented! Let's outlaw rat rods, hot rods, street rods, fishing rods and anyone with the name Rod. And shut down Lowes for good measure.</div></div>If we outlaw stupidity, that takes care of the accidents.... (and maybe elections)

Given the height of a pickup bed, maybe the driver didn't know his bud was back there.

He wouldn't have seen this spindly bucket o' bolts, either...

PICT0289.jpe.jpg

Had he backed into this 4-wheeled crumple zone, the resultant inferno would have turned Main Street into a raging Pinto Flambe. "We don't need no <span style="font-style: italic">steenkeeng</span> fire extinguishers!"

PICT0292.jpe.jpg

One wonders why, during the "engineering stage," the builder didn't save precious interior space

by putting the battery <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span></span> the shiny new gas tank?

PICT0290.jpe.jpg

That way, there'd be room for another bucket seat (assuming he can get a date*), hundreds more

claw hammers, or 4 caged prize roosters for Saturday night's big cockfight.

Hope the friend gets better,

TG

*This clinking, clanking, clattering collection of caliginous junk may be suitable for Prom Night,

but only if the girl you're squiring is named <span style="font-style: italic">Carrie!</span>