1963 Buick Riviera Engine Color

Guest ZombyWoof

Guest ZombyWoof

I have a 63 Riviera, 401 engine. Owned it since 1981. Best I can tell, the car left the factory with a green engine block. (Numbers match.) To be more specific, it's a blue-green that has a bit of a metallic look to it...not the flat type of light green I've seen in some '65 Rivs. Legend also has it 401's were supposed to have left the factory painted silver.

a) Is it possible my engine got a colour it shouldn't have?

B) If so, does anyone know the type of green this is? When it comes time to re-paint my engine, I'd like to get this same type of green. I can post some pix later...not posting from computer with the pix.

No legend involved, silver is the correct color for the 63 Riv only. there has been talk about possible green engines put in by mistake since all other 63 models used the green. I suggest you post this on the ROA forum on this site, many experts can weigh in there.

• 5 months later...

My 1963 Riviera has the blue-green color engine. I had read the 401 was green and the 425 was silver. But I know that Dick Sweeney is the expert, so why is my engine blue-green?

As Adam says, you need to verify that you have the original engine to the car. Engine # and VIN on the driver's door/windshield post should be the same. 401s were green in the '63 LeSabre, Wildcat, and Electra, but they were silver in the '63 Rivieras, as others have noted. You might have an engine transplant from one of those cars.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Both the 401 and the 425 engines in the 63 Riv was silver . My best guess is that at some point the eng. was pulled and painted green . There is a chance that the wrong engine was put in the car but I doubt it. As I said before , it should be silver unless it can be documented that the wrong engine was put in the car at the factory ??

• 1 year later...
Guest electroman47

I have an original 63 buick riviera . It has a green engine and its all original. A one owner, a doctor from WV. It was in his garage for 25 years.... It ran prettty good but I decided to rebuild the engine and there is green paint between the parts tellingm e it is the orginal green.... No its not another engine..... so where can i get that green paint?

Guest electroman47

I have an original 63 buick riviera . It has a green engine and its all original. A one owner, a doctor from WV. It was in his garage for 25 years.... It ran prettty good but I decided to rebuild the engine and there is green paint between the parts tellingm e it is the original green.... No its not another engine..... so where can i get that green paint? my email is dlmoats@yahoo.com

Buick green is available through CARS or other Buick parts vendors. You should know that Buick assembled the engines before painting them, so there shouldn't be paint between the parts ( if I understand you correctly ).