we pulled this Marmon out of a barn this last weekend

Guest hobbes

Guest hobbes

we are so excited about this car ... but we dont know what Marmon it is can any body help us out ?

it has a fedco systems tag on the dash and it is stamped with Marmon , it is rough but we are going to save it and bring it back to life .

post-40436-14313807187_thumb.jpg

post-40436-143138071894_thumb.jpg

Guest hobbes

i hope to night to post the rest of the pics on the myspace web sight it has a straight eight in it we got it to turn over with the starter last night and the engine looks good had spark after all these years , i was amazed , . thanks for any help anybody can give us

Guest Xprefix28truck

Nice find!! It's not that rough. It looks great compared to some of the things I've brought home.

Thank you for showing the great photographs of the Marmon. A very nice barn find of a very substantial car. It's fascinating to speculate what those traces of paint tell us about original colors. I'm guessing Green lower body and Black upper body and fenders. I don't know much about Marmons, but I'll guess it's a '29 with a Hayes Body.

I suspect you will find it is either the Marmon 68 or Roosevelt,(named after Teddy rather than FDR). Both had the same small straight 8 of 2 3/4"bore x 4 1/4"stroke, which probably went Ok because they should have had Rickardo-type combustion chamber design then. Two friends near here have examples. There used to be a derelict but restoreable Roosevelt Coupe about 12 miles from here in the early 1960's; but it was not the sort of thing that interested me then, and it disappeared and has never re-surfaced.

I was also very familiar with a Marmon 78 wire wheel sedan that several friends at university owned jointly. I could have had that if I had put my hand up, but I already had a 1927 Cadillac as my road car, a model 80 Pierce and the Roamer Duesenberg in the back yard, and an 8-77 Auburn out at the farm; so I dared not stretch the tolerance of my parents by gathering more old cars. The 78 has an OHV 8 cylinderengine that was credited to Barney Roos, and it does have some similarity to the Locomobile Junior 8 which he created a year or so earlier. (I do have one of those.)

I do have tune-up data in a Radco manual, even extending to carby jet sizes.

Ivan Saxton

Wow, only of our Marmon buddy Ron Barnett were still alive, he'd be all over this thread with info.

Great car and a nice find.

Terry

• 1 month later...

Altough a mere shadow of the man perhaps I can help here - I think this might be a 1927 Model "L" Marmon -the basis for the Roosevelt/78 series. I would have to go to the Garaj Mahal (100 miles away) to be sure. You should check out the marmonclub.org member cars for some reference then ask those guys - they'll identify it, I'm confident. Terry - Thanks for remembering Dad. I woke up this first Father's day without him and thinking of him led me here. Thanks guys!!!!