Reatta & Fiero?

Guest Bugler

Guest Bugler

Are they somehow mismatched soulmates? I notice some on this board talk about the Fiero sometimes and some like myself own both. Besides both being 2 seats, I can't see any similarities. Why do we like both of these opposite beasts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well some also like Corvairs. Only common factor is they all had sixes, all were GM, and all were odd. (Sale of my 66 Monza 'vert more than paid for the '90 white car.) </div></div>

You're implying that we are odd for owning a GM two seater?

Speaking for myself,...I'll agree.

Guest mounthopewalt

How does one travel in a Fiero? Is there room for anything beyond socks and underwear? Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet looking Pontiac.

Guest Bugler

I fit all my and my wifes 2week groceries in the trunk. Or 2 full seabags. Or a big vacuum. 2 end tables and a coffee table. There's room if you're creative.

I once transported an original style 27" TV in carton on a Fiero (not a GT). If you substitute a can of fix-a-flat for the spare you have two trunks.

For that matter my dustbuster is just a two seater (others are removable) with a really big trunk.

The wife and I have been doing Hot Rod Power Tour for 9 years now in a Fiero. Our second Tour was the 2000 Power Tour. We live in RI and the PT started in CA. We drove to CA and did the Tour to FL and then back to RI.(8139 miles in all) and we only had to do laundry once. You can fit 2 of those airline carry on bags and 2 small duffles in the trunk. And then bottles of water and other such stuff in the front compartment.

Don't forget that large glovebox between the seats. grin.gif I had a '88 Formula. The only problem was finding enough room for my feet in the floorboard. I'm a big man and I always felt cramped on long trips. The Reatta is a better fit for me.

Not odd just crazy. I also own a Reatta, Fiero, Riviera and just today a 65 Mustang covertible needing restoration, Yep crazy is the word. I really like the Reatta best, but the Riv is really nice with the grandkids, so each car has a purpose. The Fiero has not seen the light of day for several years

Guest Kitskaboodle

I'm not sure WHY people compare them at all.

Strangely enough, most of the threads I have seen on the Fiero.nl BB were about their "similar" handling.

I would always pipe in with, "Are you kidding?"

They are worlds apart! The Fiero is shorter, is mid-engined, is space-framed, plastic-skinned and lower in ride height". Why would you even think they're similar?" frown.gif Geez!

Why choose a Fiero? They're cheap to buy, cheap to ensure, they handle great, they look GREAT lowered, parts are relatively cheap and you can swap in pretty darn near any GM engine out there!

Why choose a Reatta? They're classy, look modern, limited production (you dont see them everyday), they're relatively cheap to buy considering what they sold for, lots of bells and whistles for it's time and historical significance.

Kit / 90 Reatta / 85&86 Fiero GT's

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mounthopewalt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does one travel in a Fiero? Is there room for anything beyond socks and underwear? Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet looking Pontiac.</div></div>

Open the trunk on one. It is very deep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kitskaboodle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure WHY people compare them at all.

Strangely enough, most of the threads I have seen on the Fiero.nl BB were about their "similar" handling.

I would always pipe in with, "Are you kidding?"

They are worlds apart! The Fiero is shorter, is mid-engined, is space-framed, plastic-skinned and lower in ride height". Why would you even think they're similar?" frown.gif Geez!

Why choose a Fiero? They're cheap to buy, cheap to ensure, they handle great, they look GREAT lowered, parts are relatively cheap and you can swap in pretty darn near any GM engine out there!

Why choose a Reatta? They're classy, look modern, limited production (you dont see them everyday), they're relatively cheap to buy considering what they sold for, lots of bells and whistles for it's time and historical significance.

Kit / 90 Reatta / 85&86 Fiero GT's</div></div>

You kind of say it. Someone else mentioned orphans. I don't believe that that is what it is. We seek unique cars, preferably made by a domestic manufacturer. At least I believe the Corvette is to common for me. Not to say I would never own one. It is my belief that the Corvette killed off so many other great cars from the General.

I STILL BELIEVE THE REASON THE FIERO WAS KILLED OFF AFTER 1988 IS BECAUSE IT BECAME TOO GOOD. IF THE FIERO WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE QUAD 4 (190 HP) AND/OR THE 3.4 DOHC (215HP ISH) AS PLANNED, IT WOULD HAVE RAN CIRCLES AROUND THE CORVETTE AND GM COULDN'T DO THAT TO ITS BABY.

Just an opinion.

The problem is that the Fiero is so low that it is below the window sill of a SUV. So the blue hair driving in the left lane, decides to turn right, sees it is clear, and does. That is why all of my cars have air horns.

There are not many cars that you can open the door and put you hand flat on the ground. There also are not many that you may need to to get out.

It is the car you wear.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I agree with you about one of the reasons the Fiero was axed. (possible pressure/heat that Pontiac was getting from the Chevrolet Brass) Even Hulki (the MAN behind the Fiero) admitted they had been out racing/testing a 4.0 liter aluminum V-8 Fiero around their proving ground "and it blew the doors off Corvette". But, he said, "we got caught and reprimanded by GM brass."

Other reason I think the Fiero died was the media hype over the 4 cyl engine fires. It involved only the first two years and only the 4 cyl. but the media talk had already done the damage. Fiero sales slumped and plant capacity went down.

The actual percentage of cars catching fire considering how many they made was less than 1% of the total.

In fact, it was so widepsread that even today Fiero people get the "dont they catch on fire?" question all the time!

Our typical reply is, "Yes, this is the last one!"

Or, "Yes, they burn down all the time...that's why I carry a fire extinguisher. Tell you what, you hold and be ready to use it while I drive!"

And lastly, "Yes, they catch fire all the time. Wanna go for a ride?".

Kit

Kit

Guest Kitskaboodle

Yes, they're relatively low.

Both of my Fiero's are lowered only an inch but it seems/looks/feels/rides like it was lowered 4-5 inches!

In fact, my passenger door scrapes the sidewalk when you open it all the way. I have even trained the wife to NOT OPEN her door all the way.

I SO agree with you on the air horns. If they cant see you they will hear you! (cell phone or not!)

Kit

Death of the Fiero-- According to Hulki in a talk he gave at the 20th anniversery at Pontiac MI, shortly after the V8 Fiero vs Vette event GM decided to restructure the Fiero plant. Originally the plant has a work force of 800 people after the "restructuring" the plant went to over 1000 people with the new folks being management. Suddenly Fiero profits stopped meeting expectations and was dropped.

Guest Richard D

Padgett I think you are correct, as you know from my PMs I have owned some really off the wall orphan cars. Like a new Plymouth Cricket, MG 1100, Sunbeam Alpine, Fiero 2M4, 65 Marlin, and many others.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phils38cpe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Death of the Fiero-- According to Hulki in a talk he gave at the 20th anniversery at Pontiac MI, shortly after the V8 Fiero vs Vette event GM decided to restructure the Fiero plant. Originally the plant has a work force of 800 people after the "restructuring" the plant went to over 1000 people with the new folks being management. Suddenly Fiero profits stopped meeting expectations and was dropped. </div></div>

Now they just choose to kill off the entire brand. A freind of mine that knows nothign about cars had a fairly deep statement after they announce killing Pontiac.

"They will never kill Chevrolet, it has the Corvette"

Enough said.

The Corvette probably killed more cars or the great evolution of so many cars at GM it isn't even funny.