Help needed to start a '37 or '38 Dodge Brothers engine

Guest Greg N

Guest Greg N

My father has had his old college car (a Dodge Brothers 2-door business mans coupe) parked in our garage since the early 70's and it hasn't ran since then. I'm interested in trying to see if I can get it started ... and if not, potentially selling it. Seeking some advice on the following:

1) Not sure what year it is, can you advise where I might look on the car to correctly identify the year/model?

2) Is it possible to find any reference materials about this vehicle (ie. diagrams about what's under the hood)?

3) Any suggestions for a few (inexpensive) things which can be done to see if it can be started?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Can you post a photo of it? Does it look like either of these? The first photo is of a 1937 The second, a 1938. You can probably find a shop manual on ebay or you can got to the W.P.Chrysler Club online and find one.

post-37352-143138064646_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138064647_thumb.jpg

Guest Greg N

Thanks for the info and pictures. It looks like the first one and that confirms my uncles assumption that it was a 1937.

We pulled the plugs and filled the cylinders with Marvels Mystery Oil today ... will let it sit for a week or two. Need to pick up a new battery (apparently my dad had upgraded it to 12 volt), but the plugs still look decent.

1) Any suggestions on what weight engine oil it would take?

2) The wire going from the positive post of the battery disconnected at the other end. I'm assuming it goes to the starter motor. From what I can tell there is only one connection point on the starter motor and it currently has a wire going to the solenoid. Is it correct to have both those wires attached to the same terminal on the starter motor?

3) I tried to spin the fan blade to see if the engine would rotate, but I could only get it to budge an eighth of an inch or so with a lot of effort. I hadn't disconnected the belt to the alternator, but is it a bad sign that it didn't rotate at all? Any idea's for getting it to rotate?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Greg

Greg....I think that most MOPARS are positive ground, so the positive cable PROBABLY goes to the frame somewhere near the pedals.

To spin the engine while all hooked up to the belt, use a big old socket and breaker bar on the front crankshaft bolt. If it does not turn using that setup, it may be seized. John

Guest DodgeKCL

I suppose this is a stupid question but you did not try to turn it over with the plugs in? Even a good running engine is difficult to turn over by the fan with the plugs in.

I would take off the fan belt just in case the generator or water pump is seized. You can troubleshoot them later. If you cannot turn the engine over by the starter without the ignition turned off then I would suspect a stuck engine. You will most likely crack several piston rings when you finally get it unstuck but you have no choice unless you want to strip the engine down. The best way I know of getting one unstuck if you just want to see if it will run (you say you most likely will sell it anyways?)is to shove it up and down the driveway in gear with the clutch down and pop the clutch when you get it up to 'speed'. Use 2nd gear. These old Dodges were pretty tough and I've been involved with freeing up an engine using this method more than once. It will atleast get the engine free and you can start it which might help selling it. But if the engine is stuck this means the piston rings are rusted to the cylinder walls and they don't like this treatment. But you have no choice if pouring oil in the cylinders doesn't free it.

You don't need a working fuel pump or carb to start it once you're sure it's free. Just a half a cup of gas straight down the carb throat with the air cleaner off is enough to start it and run it for maybe 30 seconds. Use full choke. If unsuccesful in starting it do not keep pouring gas down the carb. It become a nasty fire hazard. (Personal experience!) ps There is an off chance the clutch is frozen to the flywheel and you will find the engine will rotate while the car is being pushed but you still can't turn it over with the starter. Make sure the tranny is in neutral while you use the starter. If you can't put it in gear and depress the clutch and use the starter then the clutch is 'glued' to the flywheel. As with a stuck engine pushing up and down the driveway can free a stuck clutch.

KCL, if the clutch is stuck to the flywheel it's really bad advice to suggest push starting the car in second gear. I'd bet/guess the brakes don't work, so what does he do if it starts?? If this car was converted to 12 volt and has an alternator as he said he better figure out what is really ground. Only recently have they sold positive ground alternators. Sounds like research time! The BEST/SAFEST way to start any engine is with the starter, especially someone unfamiliar with the car.

Guest Dodge Deluxe

Doug you just read my mind, I was thinking the same thing about the 12 volt conversion, there is all likelihood that it has been converted to a negative ground now, but he will indeed need to verify what's what. As far the best way to free up the stuck engine, I'd have to say time and patience. The MM oil worked for my engine, let it sit for a couple weeks and give it a nudge every now and then with the breaker bar on the harmonic balance pulley.

Change the engine oil after you get it freed up and before you try to start it. Don't try running it on what used to be gas that's remaining in the gas tank, it's not gasoline anymore. As also said above, make sure the clutch is free or you are least in neutral.

How's the radiator?

Dan

Guest Greg N

I GREATLY appreciate everyone's input and advice. I believe most the plugs were in when I tried to spin the engine, but they were all loosely fit in. I'll leave the MM in there for another week or two and have another go at it. Thanks for the tips on the clutch/flywheel. Pushing the car may be difficult as all 4 tires are flat (forgot to mention that), we we'll try the breaker-bar approach to see if we can free it up a little. I didn't look closely at the radiator, but will do so. Thanks again for all the help. Will post again in a couple weeks after the next attempts are made (and the next series of questions come together).

Greg