What is this contraption?

keiser31

Man, you guys are good....and fast! My dad who worked for Chrysler Export-Import for 35 years thought it looked like a tea kettle when he first saw one. My neighbor tested one for 6 months. Sounded like a Lear jet when ignited. I was rather lucky to end up with this nice little item.

post-37352-143138064001_thumb.jpg

Guest Xprefix28truck

I saw a show on these cars last Fall. They got it out and drove it. Just in a parking lot. I can't remember which show I saw it on though. The sound was amazing!!!!I do know it was on Speed channel. They kept going on about how lucky they were to do the show. They had to pull alot of strings to get to do the show.. If I remember right, the one in the show wasn't this color. And I believe it was the only one in private hands. Anyone else see this show?

They were all originally the "Turbine Bronze" color from Ghia in Turin, Italy. There is one that was re-painted, I believe. Out of 60 made there are ten left in various museums and the privately owned one. There is also a cut-away engine and a crate engine out there.

I also have the video of the wrecking yard in downtown Detroit that was contracted to prod, poke, crush and burn 50 of the cars. What a HORRIBLE sight! I wanted to trade my 1968 Dodge Dart big block 4 speed car for a Turbine car hood ornament for my collection....nobody came up with one.

No...The air intake was behind the grille. There were fins around the lights to give it the "turbine" look throughout front and rear. You can see in the drawing where there was a large "air box" with twin frontal intake ports. The exhaust went out at a downward angle.

post-37352-143138064275_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138064278_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313806428_thumb.jpg

Guest Hugh32

Very stylish for the 60's. The front end looks a lot like the rear of a 1961 Thunderbird including similar trim on the 1/4 panel/ front fender.

post-60729-14313806439_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My neighbor tested one for 6 months. Sounded like a Lear jet when ignited. </div></div>

One automotive writer who also witnessed them at the time dubbed it, "Chrysler's First Generation Dog Whistle."