65 AM FM Radio installation

mpneroz

Have a 65 LeSabre convertible which origonally came with an AM radio. I reacently came up with an absolutely perfect 65 factory AM FM. Had it checked, everthing works perfect. My question: How do I wire it? Can someone tell me which wire is hot, ground and speaker? The plastic clip, has one yellow, one white, 1 black and one blue wire coming out. Had it serviced, beautiful unit, don't want to mess it up!

Mike Nerozzi

BCA# 37438

It has been a lot of years since I worked as a radio installer, so I don't remember the particular wiring colors that GM used back then.

I am guessing you have not pulled the AM radio out yet...

I think that when you pull the AM radio out, you will find that it has the exact same color wires that the AM/FM radio has. Simply connect the wires on the replacement radio the same as the are on the one that you are removing and you should be fine.

Don't take a chance. Contact the shop that serviced it. They had to figure it out. Often speakers used the body of the car for a ground. Being a Buick it may have a power antenna lead. It also probably has a lead which lights the radio dial only when the headlamps or parking lamps are on.

Your old AM will tell you a lot but you cannot be sure it is identical to this AM/FM. If possible when you make any connections DO NOT cut the car harness. Make adapter leads to make any needed changes and leave the factory stuff in tact.

Rock On

I agree with Matthew, the connections should be the same on both and the AM/FM should "plug & play". My recollection is the yellow is the hot wire and the black and blue go to the speaker(s). I do not recall seeing a GM factory white wire, it could be power antenna or a light as suggested. Good luck, Todd