1932 Packard 906 Twin Six Seven Passenger Sedan

1933 Packard Super 8 7-Passenger Touring/Phaeton- Bought new by the Proctor family of Proctor and Gamble (note the "black out" chrome - god forbid we show our wealth in the middle of a depression). This is a totally unrestored car excepting new tires and now new carpet. We cut new gray wilton carpet to replace the threadbear set that had been installed in the 1940's but unfortunately we are totally out of budget for these types of projects and new binding will have to wait for another month - it has a debut at the Glendale, Ohio car show later this month. The way I best like the museum - impressive at any time but at night the neon and look of cars is great. The car to the right is a fairly unrestored 34 Standard 8 Coupe-Roadster. Do you see the test patch for the new floor finish (see under the 34) - out of budget for this project as well - but fingers are crossed for a donor.

post-42000-14313808394_thumb.jpg

post-42000-143138083969_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned: 1903 Packard Gray Wolf was shown this past weekend at Ault Park Concours d'Elegance - www.ohioconcours.com

Pictures should also be posted at these great sites:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/default.aspx

and

Link to pictures posted on Cincinnati.Com

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=AB&Date=20090614&Categ

ory=NEWS01&ArtNo=906140802&Ref=PH

--

• 1 month later...

Joshua Shaw just finishes up touching up paint and re-pinstriping the 1925 LeBarron Touring (one of two built and the only known survivor). It cost $10,000 new and is one of the very first Hot Rod sort to speak in that it has a custonm grill, hood, and cowl in relation to its custom body and they are basically 4 to 6 inches lower than a normal Packard. To put in an endorsement - ONE SWEET RIDE AS WELL - SMOOTH ON THE ROAD WITH A GREAT GEAR SOUND.

We were just notified today that to allow car to be driven up at the Meadowbrok Concours that Coker Tire would be providing new Firestones to go on its original Firestone wheel rims. 7:00 X 21 is the size and Coker makes a great historic reproduction. Timing will be critical here so fingers are crossed.

post-42000-143138095457_thumb.jpg

Guest AmerMidChrome

Hi John,

Love the pictures! I have a question and hope it is okay to ask you. I own a chrome business in Chicago and business is slow. If you are in need of any chrome work on these cars, time would really be on your side. We do work for these type of cars. Any business would sure be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and the fabulous picures. Your shop looks awesome. I am going to your website now to check it out. Again, thank you and hope to hear from you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The 1925 LeBaron Speedster Phaeton gets new 7:00 x 21 Blackwalls. The car actually has Firestone rims on it (and such are stamped on the rim and the locking ring). The new tires are great - they are an exact reproduction of originals and made by Coker. Coker went out of their way to make sure the car had new tires and they could not have been more gracious. A special thanks to the folks at Coker tire.

The old tires literally fell apart while we were out roadtesting in the week prior to Meadowbrook Concours. The end was near, but we made it through the concours and then loaned car out for a parade to a museum volunteer - he came back with cords and little to no treads. Still, this was one job to get these installed on car as the flaps had bonded themselves to the rims and the old tyres had to be dynamited off.

post-42000-143138134655_thumb.jpg

post-42000-143138134659_thumb.jpg

post-42000-143138134663_thumb.jpg

post-42000-143138134667_thumb.jpg

Here are my most recent picture of the 32 Twin Six. It is coming along - slowly but coming along - never seems to be enough money to go around and I have a pretty agressive agenda of projects throughout the Museum. Needs a battery and Classic Car Club of America, Indianapolis Region, Oil Project (10w40 oil) D.A. Lubricants Oil installed to get the car started; and will need exhaust within minutes therafter - very very sad exhaust system that has been bandaged for far too long and now just nothing left of it.

post-42000-143138134676_thumb.jpg

post-42000-14313813468_thumb.jpg

This was a little project that ate some time prior to Auburn. My 851 phaeton eats a tappet just a week and a half prior to the 600 mile ACD festival round trip. Fortunately, the probelm showed itself about a half block from home after having just completed a 130 mile round trip to have new tie rod ends installed, aligned, and all wheels rebalanced. Car performed flawlessly for labor day weekend.

post-42000-143138134685_thumb.jpg

post-42000-14313813469_thumb.jpg

Can't play Packards all the time. Here are some Auburn Pictures that we took during and after parade; and and on way back downtown post club dinner. My nephew "Carter" is a big Auburn fan at 2 years old (and his second ACD weekend). We did what uncles do best after we took the picture at the restored filling station - WE CHASED DOWN TRAINS.

post-42000-143138134713_thumb.jpg

post-42000-143138134717_thumb.jpg

post-42000-14313813472_thumb.jpg

post-42000-143138134724_thumb.jpg

post-42000-143138134729_thumb.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

John

Recently our East Coast Chapter of the Durant Motors Automobile Club visited your museum as part of their spring meet. They all said they had a great time and your museum was a great place to visit. They highly recommended it. Unfortunetly I was not able to attend the meet.

John,

Thanks for an incredibly detailed thread, especially for naming your contributors/suppliers;

this has to be one of the most informative discussions on the entire Forum.

It will be a Go-To manual when we begin our own work on this '34 Eight Coupe Roadster,

one of the few Standard versions extant, and a true Time Warp car if there ever was one.

34_ecm_13a.jpg

Thanks again, and I can't wait to visit the Citizens Motor Car Company!

TG

PS, please disregard the incorrect Super 8 caption from this 1951 photo.

• 2 months later...

Well, we had the 1946 Custom Super Clipper at the Lexington Concours and we also had the 1914 4-48 Runabut there as well. A great thanks goes out to out CPA/Tax Accountant Dwain Fansler for all the hard work on the 1914.

10 minutes ago I just received the call that the 1914 was all spit shined, touched up and ready to go to Meadowbrook Concours "Concours d'Elegance of America" A special thank you goes to Joashua Shaw of Shaw Hot Rods - the best historic sprint car restorer, pinstripper, and paint touch up guy out there. Bio - Shaw Hot Rods

See everyone at Meadowbrook!

Home

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I was asked about this car today.   I had a ton of photos of it eons ago, but  many a different camera, phone, and computer later no longer. Back in 2010, the AACA website was having trouble uploading pictures, so I was not able to update at time.   

In early 2011, I took a role with a new company and no longer had the time to finish this upgrade project. 

Not in photos:  I dropped the oil pan and cleaned it external/internal (about 10 minutes after I finished and put the car down I recall the left rear tire tube exploded and a week later the new tube arrived and ....), cleaned the oil pump and engine passages,  installed new ignition wires and some under hood wiring, installed a rebuilt ignition switch, found the proper starter solenoid and generator regulator, found the proper chrome terminal nuts for the top of the spark plugs/wiring, bought new reproduction upper radiator hoses, restored the air cleaner, found/installed a pair of headlamp reflectors - rare, found/painted/installed the proper luggage rack (my guess is it had always had a Super 8 rack on it from new, though I came across a proper Twin Six rack - so when in Rome ...),  installed a proper set of script sidemount tire mirrors, restored and installed Ohio 1932 License plates, found a Tropic Aire heater for it, installed a proper Tropic Aire heater switch, pulled a decent sized garbage bag of mice nests out of its corners, gave it a good cleaning, and did a bunch of other work.  

The fellow who today is  Executive-Managing Director Dan Badger (who by the way is a SUPER great guy) got the car running.  

And it was sold off to a collector in Indiana - he installed a Packard trunk onto the luggage rack, replaced exhaust, restored gas tank, tinkered with it, and ...., but he then sold it off a couple years later. 

A not bad upgrade for a shoestring museum budget :) 

Does anyone have further updates ?

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...