Straight eight engine ??'s

Guest 40series

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear 40 SERIES:

Short answer on interchanges is: NO. The first series of straight 8's ran fron 1931 thru 1935 and there are 4 different sizes, not interchangeable. Then there is the second series, which starts out with a 248 cu.inch engine and a 320 cubic inch engine. These run, with minor modifications, thru 1947. In 1948, the small engine moves up to 263 cu. inches and the big engine remains 320. However, both engines have a very different engine mounting arrangement and a different front water pump configuration. Shortly thereafter, hydraulic valve lifters cause more changes internally, along with the use or omission of the crankshaft pilot bearing hole, depending on whether it's an engine for use with a Dynaflow or a manual transmission.

Sorry for the long answer, but now you know some of the pitfalls.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest 40series

There is a 34 on Ebay with a 36 engine? How was this accomplished?

Do the later engines bolt to the early transmission?

I understood the 40 series engine was the new generation while the 50-60-90 had the older engine.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear 40 series:

The changes for 1934 for the 40 series only resulted in an engine that will fit a later 40 series and vice-versa. There are a good many common engine parts from 1934 that extend to as late as 1947. The 320 in 1936 is a whole new ballgame.

Regards, Dave Corbin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Faust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any answer to the question on poured babbit bearings? </div></div>

They were certainly gone by 1950 model but I don't think earlier. Dave will know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveCorbin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear 40 series:

The changes for 1934 for the 40 series only resulted in an engine that will fit a later 40 series and vice-versa. There are a good many common engine parts from 1934 that extend to as late as 1947. The 320 in 1936 is a whole new ballgame.

Regards, Dave Corbin </div></div>

Dave,

You don't think that " whole new ballgame " started in 1934 with the introduction of the all new 40 series motor?

I've always viewed the 1934 Series 40 motor as " experimental ". It was certainly vastly different from the previous straight 8 motors introduced in 1931 and which Buick continued with thru 1936 in the larger series cars. The basic configuration of the 34 Series 40 is the same as for all later Buick straight 8's and vastly different from the 50, 60 and 90 Series cars of 1934/35.

Admittedly cubic capacity, engine mounting points and water pump configuration all changed over the years but the basic series 40 motor remained the same. Historians seem to have overlooked the role played by the 233 cubic inch 40 Series motor of 1934/35 and 36 in the development of both the 320 motor introduced in 1936 and the progression to the 248 motor introduced in 1937.

Guest 40series

Stuart,

Is that you roadster all done in your avatar? Post some pics on the yahoo board. haven't seen you there in a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40series</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stuart,

Is that you roadster all done in your avatar? Post some pics on the yahoo board. haven't seen you there in a while. </div></div>

Posted some on the Yahoo board about 3 weeks ago!!

Guest soldier

Someone answered the babbit bearing to insert year change question in the forum sometime ago. I think Buick went to main inserts several years before the rods. I had my 1931 series 50 converted to rod inserts. My machine shop used 6 cylinder Chrysler industrial engine rod inserts. That engine has the same size crank throws as the 1931 Buick series 50. The rods and caps on the Buick engine had to be notched for the insert tabs, but it was an easy conversion. I kept the poured mains and had them redone. I don't know if anyone has converted mains from poured to inserts, but bet it has been done. I would like to hear from them if they have. Good luck with yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40series</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave,

How can we get away from the babbit bearings? This is what I was hoping to accomplish. </div></div>

The conrod bearings in my 34 40 Series motor were replaced with Toyota 12R bearings.

Guest Howard Purvis

Insert rod bearings replaced babbit bearings and shims early in the 1949 model year. Thereafter, bearing replacement required rod replacement as well. It is therefore possible to find both types in the same engine.

The 263 cid engine first appeared in 50 series models in 1950.

Howard Purvis

Guest 40series

You know;

when I went to my Grandfathers shop to clean up all the parts I could find and take pics of his 35 model 41 that my uncle will not part with. There was a 49 model straight eight and my grandmother said he was going to install it into the 35. I know he knew his stuff so I wonder how he was going to do this. I was to young at the time to realize the value of that information.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 40series

I have been doing some research on my own into this. So far as I can tell; all straight eights after 34 bolt up to one anothers transmissions. I also understand that the later insert bearing rods are a direct replacement. I am working to confirm these statements.

• 4 weeks later...

The first 5,000 cars produced in 1949 still had babbit bearings but thereafter they all had inserts except the remaining replacement engines in stock. An article appeared in the Bugle, July 2004 issue, on page 23 about this matter. The article gives the correct part numbers, etc., for the insert rods as well as the correct years and models which can be used for used replacement parts. The rods were seldom damaged and if NOS cannot be located used are just as good. Hope this helps. Patrick W. Brooks