1932 trunk

Earl B.

I stand corrected, it is indeed a cloth on my 34 trunk, it's blue with a large yellow/red "K" emblem in the corner of the lid near the right-side hinge. You'd think after 45 years of looking at it I'd know! I did take some pictures and will post when I finish the roll of film.

Joe

no problem

There are basically two different types of "reader file" one is PDF and the other is DJVU. They both work the same, the difference is that when an item is scanned the djvu file requires alot less of disc space when you store the image file. than does pdf many of these books ie: parts books are over 350 pages. Websites are charged by how much disc space they use.

On the "The Packard Library site it shows the plyg in that is needed .

here is a link

DJVU plugin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Library Director</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe

no problem

There are basically two different types of "reader file" one is PDF and the other is DJVU. They both work the same, the difference is that when an item is scanned the djvu file requires alot less of disc space when you store the image file. than does pdf many of these books ie: parts books are over 350 pages. Websites are charged by how much disc space they use.

On the "The Packard Library site it shows the plyg in that is needed .

here is a link

DJVU plugin

</div></div>

I've have hosting with Lunar Pages who has no storage limit. I thought it very unusual to have a different storage format than PDF. I believe JPGs would take a lot less space for scanned items.

Guest BigKev

I actually scan everything as a JPGs, then convert them to PDF, a lot smaller than scanning directly to PDF or scanning to TIFF and then converting. All the service manuals I have online I broke into sections for easy downloading. Also some of the parts lists (manuals) have almost 1,000 pages in them. So those were real fun to scan. Currently have over 5 gigs of scanned Packard content online, as well as over 4,000 photos of Packards, vintage Packard Adverts, and all the individual part plates from all the of the scanned Parts List for easy reference.

While many server providers may advertise unlimited server space, or unlimited traffic, you will find that they usually have restrictions when the rubber meets the road. I quickly outgrew my "unlimited" shared server account, and had to go to a virtual dedicated server to handle the traffic. Usually you will see that they have a restriction on the number of concurrent connections, and that is what you need to service alot of users at the same time.

Just my $.02, back to the topic at hand.......

Guest BigKev

I find that PDFs work best for keeping multiple pages together since JPG is not a multi-page format like PDF or even TIFF is. When I setup the website I wanted to settle on a format that everyone would have access to regardless of their OS or computer platform. Also I have lots of folks that donate the content to the website already in PDF for me, so that way I don't always have to do the work. I wanted the website to be as community driven as possible. So far so good!