BUYER BEWARE

Guest mgibson

Guest mgibson

Last Saturday morning we were up early to drive about 100 miles east to take a second and closer look at a 90 Reatta coupe. I had first looked at it just after Christmas but the weather was lousy, so I did a walk around and checked out the interior. It looked good despite being dirty sitting under a carport. The interior was nearly perfect, as one would expect for a 40,000-mile car. The initial asking price was, in my estimation, too high!

Now, two months later and still unsold, the Reatta’s asking price had been lowered to a more reasonable level. This time the weather was great, so I went back to take it for a test drive and closer inspection. I had made arrangements with a nearby muffler shop to put the car on a lift so I could inspect the underside.

The owner had emphasized the car’s previous South Carolina owner had really taken special care of it and that it had only been driven a couple of thousand miles while she had it. Running the VIN on Autocheck revealed that prior to SC, the Reatta had resided northeast of New York City. With this knowledge, I certainly wanted to do a rust check. The owner took the car cover off. The Reatta still needed a good bath and I saw very fine scratches on the hood as if left by a cat trying to gain traction. A good bath, waxing and buffing should take of those, I thought!

It cranked readily and ran smoothly. I noticed that the ABS light was on and remembered that I had been about told that on my earlier visit. I make a mental note “New accumulator and a brake flush”. Driving to the muffler shop, I notice an odd feel in the drive train but not something I could identify.

At the muffler shop the staff was very helpful and put it on the lift immediately. One guy went under the car with me and quickly pointed out that the Catalytic Converter was “shot” and needed replacement. Indeed it was, as the outer skin on the bottom was missing and it rattled inside as he shook it.

As I inspected the undercarriage, I saw numerous spots of rust on the frame, brake lines, gas tank straps. Around the bottom of the engine was a heavy layer of oil that was leaking from somewhere above. Worse still, there was still salt residue on the entire bottom of the car meaning this baby hadn’t had a good bath in a long while!

After lowering the car, I opened the hood to see if the power steering pump was the oil leak source. It appeared to be coming from the high-pressure power steering hose.

Then the real shocker came! The guy at the shop asked me if I had seen the broken transmission cradle arm. I looked and sure enough, both arms that bolt to the top of the engine block were broken. The transmission had dropped about one half inch. It was then that I guessed this must be the source of that odd feeling in the drive train.

I drove gingerly back to the owner’s house, parked it and raised the hood. As she approached, I said “I’m afraid I had bad news for you”. I pointed out the broken transmission mounts and said I was no longer interested in the car. Her response was that her husband could fix the mounts. I was then told “You’ve just wasted my time and you can leave!”. With that said, she walked into the house and shut the door, leaving me standing in the driveway. (Never mind the fact that I had traveled a hundred miles and wasted a good chunk of the day, too!)

I hurriedly called my wife, who had gone to a nearby mall, to come get me---NOW!

The lesson here that all should heed is <span style="font-weight: bold">Buyer Beware</span>---always thoroughly inspect any car you are considering buying. You never know what lurks hidden beneath.

Buyer beware: always good advice. The other thing to worry about in such a situation is the potential for the owner to accuse you, as the potential buyer who just drove the car to have it inspected, of causing the damage that was found. Could have the potential to get rather nasty in such a circumstance.

KDirk

Guest CL_Reatta

Reminds me of my trip 800 miles to buy my capri.... Get there, and the tail pipe is in the trunk, overdrive doesnt work, windshield majorly scratched, trunk release broke, glove box latch broke, the list could go on and on.... seller didnt want to work with me at all, even though his ebay listing was completely wrong... still eneded up buying the car as I was already out there, and had spent half the day arguing with u-haul about my tow dolly (long story... will explain if you wish)... but next time... Bring a jack and a flashlight that way if there is something broke, they cant blame you.

Good story, I'd make a post wherever you saw it for sale to warn other people interested

Guest mgibson

Good story, I'd make a post wherever you saw it for sale to warn other people interested.

I did get the VIN on this Reatta and two more that the same person owns. They will be going to Barney shortly. As far as stating more details, I did not want to get into naming names, etc. There are enough clues to determine about where it is. You can see where I live, then go 100 miles east and you are in the neighborhood. Search Craigslist for Reatta in the Raleigh, NC area too. Finally, anyone can PM me or email at mgibson33@hotmail.com. grin.gif

Martel, you did good !!!

i was going to actually look at this car, since I have family in Selma, NC. I was just really curious as to why the lady was askings so much and I could not tell if it was a convertible from the pictures she post. Can't say you saved me any gas money as I still plan to visit family, But I know I won't be visiting this lady.

Way to Go, Martel!

You're my kind of buyer, one who buys with his sense, rather than his cents! The seller left y'all hangin' 'cause she realized you are'nt the sucker they been waitin' for!!

Panikmekanik and I will e headin' to Asheville 4 campin' then to Durham to visit her Dad, and on to Cape Fear to visit my Dad, this April. I'd like to meet-up with y'all along the way!

~Randy

This is the second car I have heard of with a broken cradle - other was several years ago.

With a few notable exceptions, the Reatta seems to quite resistant to rust. I found quite a bit of surface rust underneath the white car but none between seams or inside rails and has responded quite well to just a wire brush, sandpaper, and emory cloth followed by white or black Rustolium as necessary.

Have also been carrying a can of PB Blaster when "getting out and getting under" and applying to fasteners but everything has been unscrewing properly.

All of the rubber (bushings, dew wipes, etc) is in good shape. PO did replace the brake and fuel lines and these need to be examined carefully on any car.

There are still some pristine examples out there but probably not for much longer.

We probably have a few more years of declining average prices as many continue to get run into the ground but that for really nice cars should start rising as those get harder to find.