Strong gas odor

Guest dpannell

Guest dpannell

I'm suddenly smelling a strong gas odor when I pull into the garage..... especially after a lengthy trip (100+ miles)

I left the car running and looked closely with a flashlight and see no leaks..or moisture anywhere (thats visible) from the rail all the way to the connection before the lines disappear above the fuel tank. I've also placed a guage on the rail, pumped it up and let it sit for nearly 30 minutes. No loss of pressure( 40#) or leaks on the high side? I had been into the tank over a year ago....so I checked all the connections and they are tight.

Anyone experience this? Where else should I look? Can I rule out the high side (injectors, rail, filter connection) since it holds pressure?

This is another new one on me! Dave

Guest dpannell

I did cycle the canister solenoid through diagnostics...and i can hear a distinct "click".... I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it is working properly though.

I'll be checking the hose connections next....Thanks.

Dave

Guest Greg Ross

Had this happen on mine years ago, and as "Old Guy" says.

"check the Evap Cannister" As I recall I found a hose disconnected.

I agree, Vinnie!

The return line seems to go first, and will stop leaking shortly after key is off.

Turn ignition on, get out and look around front of LR wheel-well for drips, or fine spray of fuel. If line is failing, inspect fuel main line, and all nearby brake lines. If one is bad/failing, the rest will follow momentarily.

Guest dpannell

Thanks guys for the input.....Its not an Indiana car though. Only thing rusty around it is me. lol

I'm miffed....the canister lines all appear good...and I've looked over all the lines with a flashlight and just can't pinpoint anything. I only drove a short distance today and now it doesn't smell. go figure.....but its happened 3x after longer trips.

I'll keep an eye on the lines at the rear....the smell does seem stronger back there. THanks again and I'll keep you posted. Dave