Overside tires make sidemounts install difficult

tbirdman

I have 7X19 Bedford Classics on my 32 packard. The issue I have is they are oversized from the original tire size though both are 7.00X19. I barely squeezed them in even though the tires have no air in them. Has anyone experienced this. I was thinking of trying a different tire for the sidemounts.

I don't care how they look as most of the tire will be hidden by my sidemount covers I have just painted. I was thinking aout buying 6.50X19, but not sure if that would solve my problem. There some blemished Firestones on sale at Coker which would be perfect as I don't care how they look. However I hate to buy them and find out I have the same problem.

I just kept the old (1940s era) spares on my sidemounts in light of this problem. I can't use them, of course, but they fit.

Guest superods

Hey birdman.....give me a good price on that steering wheel and that would defray some of the cost of the tires you need. Bruce Blevins picked me up a number of 32 and 34 Parts two weekends ago at the annual event over at the Packard Museum in Dayton Ohio. Got a steering wheel and column 34 and a 32 but the wheel is not worth restoring. I do not need one presently for I have 4 32's. I will need that wheel within the next two years anyhow ...ha ha. Lets make a fair deal .....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkazmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found the width more of a problem in fitting the wells </div></div>

With the Bedford Classic, every dimension was too large. I can't even fitthe sidemount side covers on with the Bedford Classics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Got a steering wheel and column 34 and a 32 but the wheel is not worth restoring. I do not need one presently for I have 4 32's. I will need that wheel within the next two years anyhow ...ha ha. Lets make a fair deal ..... </div></div>

I made you an offer that you refused. Windshield frame for the almost perfect steering wheel.

Guest superods

I do not have an extra windshield frame. Else we would have finalized our deal. But on the 17th I am meeting Bruce in Dayton to further our search for parts. Someone just donated many 33 and 34 parts. Will look for the windshield frame you are in need of then.

Ken, the 32s originally came with Goodrich, Goodyear, US Royal, and Firestone tires. The 6.50x19 is the standard 8 size. I do not know what size the super 8 came with. Check the Firestones Coker has in the super 8 size. Coker can give you the exact sizes of the tires. I think they are pretty close to the original. good luck, B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packard32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken, the 32s originally came with Goodrich, Goodyear, US Royal, and Firestone tires. The 6.50x19 is the standard 8 size. I do not know what size the super 8 came with. Check the Firestones Coker has in the super 8 size. Coker can give you the exact sizes of the tires. I think they are pretty close to the original. good luck, B </div></div>

Thanks. The Bedford's have a real pronounced edge which I believe causes the issue of the tread cover not snugging down on the tire. The size for a 32 super eight is 7x19. I bought my sidemount cover set that were listed for x 6.5x19 tire. However the sidemount sidecovers would be the same for a 6.5 or a 7.0X19 tire. I now have two chrome covers for sale (need to be replated) for a 6.50X19 tire.

I know West will get a kick out of this. I have two blackwall 7:00X19 hardly used Lesters that I bought for teh sidemount covers. I figured the sidecovers would hide whether it was BW or WW, but then I discovered the sidemount covers allow some of the tire edge at the rim to be seen. So I really need a whitewall for the sidemounts tires. So I have 2 BW 7X19 Lesters for sale but they need to be picked unless you can figure out a cheap way to ship them.

The Firestone seconds at Coker are ideal for what I need. Maybe I can ask them to bringthem to the Portland Swap meet and save the shipping cost.

Doing some research, I guess this is a more common problem than I thought. I think going to 6.50X19 should help. The Bedfords 7X19 width are 7.5" which is the same as the 7X19 Firestones.

The 6.50X19 are about an inch less wider and about an inch less on the diameter. Unfortunately no one has blemished on these and I hate to pay $250 a tire.

I wish they had told e this when I bought my tires. mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Mitchell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coker recently brought out a new series Firestone in 700 - 18, which is more period correct and sized accurately, you might check if they are making that tire in your size. </div></div>

I called them today and they had nothing. Now I'm trying to find some WW blemish 6.5X19s from anybody as I don't want to pay full price for these sidemount tires.