6 volt LED

Guest rusty1951

Guest rusty1951

Has any one used 6 volt LED lights for tail lights? Are they any brighter that normal lights which are poor by todays standards.

Guest imported_Thriller

I'd love to use them with my '29 for brake, tail, and signal...especially considering there is a single brake / tail light on the car. I have something of a plan, but haven't gotten very far with it. I haven't had much success even locating 6 V LEDs online, even though I know they have to exist.

I purchased 6 Volt LED tail light lamps from the following source:

http://www.highspeedmotors.com/Webled.html

I fould that the LEDs are a little brighter, but more as a localized "hot spot" under the red tail light lens. The reason for this is that the source of the light is a cluster of LEDs, and thus, don't reflect very well in the tail light reflector. The parabolic reflector is designed for a point source of light (the bulb filament). For now, I have changed back the original 6 Volt bulbs.

Additionally, if LED lamps are used in a turn signal application, the thermo flasher may have to be replaced with a 6 Volt sold state flasher unit.

Grandpa

Hi TexRiv_63,

I purchased the following LED lamps from HighSpeed Corp.:

Part Number 6N05 32 LEDs, white, negative ground, non-indexed base, 6 Volt.

Part Number 6N06 32 LEDs, white, negative ground, indexed base, 6 Volt.

The lamp has 18 LEDs facing to the rear. The remaining LEDs are arranged radially in two decks facing to the side.

I would suggest only purchasing one lamp as a test, before purchasing a complete set.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138048866_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143138048869_thumb.jpg

Hi rusty1951,

I tried the LED lights in a 1941 Buick. The 1941 Buick has a reflector as well as a condensing lens (Fresnel lens) over the bulb. The reflector, the Fresnel lens, and the outer red lens are all in excellent condition on the car.

The problem is that the LED light is not at the focal point of the reflector and Fresnel lens. The result was a localized "hot spot" on the red lens. I didn't think that it was much of an improvement, so I went back to original bulb.

Grandpa

• 1 month later...

Grandpa,

I am sorry the bulbs didn't work well on your Buick. Although they work well on most cars, you are right that they can be not great on some. It has to do with as you said the focal distance, reflector, and the thickness and color of the lens.

My bulbs do come with a guarantee, that they will do the job. If in your case they don't, I would be glad to take them back for your purchase price, except for the shipping cost. Please send them back for a refund.

The same goes for anyone who buys them. I only get a few back, and have had many people purchase more after their first order.

I am in the process of a new design, that has more individual leds pointing in a back direction, and when I have them, you are more than welcome to try them to see if they improve your lighting needs.

George Rohrbach

http://www.highspeedmotors.com/Webled.html