My 1928 Model A Hupmobile

JFranklin

• 1 month later...

Hi John When you get the wheel puller, be sure to back off the adjusting nuts on the brake rods. If you have not seen these before its the nut & check nut that the cable end hooks to. Most of the time they are rusted so a good dose of knock rust will help. If you have to, use a smoke wrench on the nuts. Dooo Not get any heat on or near the cables. They are hard to find and $100 a piece. Hope this helps and Keep on Huppn. The N.H.Hupp Nutt Chuck

Hi i have a 1926 hupp and blue up the motor.I had a shop machine the motor and than go out of business i got the machined motor and car back and spoke to one of his tecs to do the job for me. I got a gasket kit from olsons and he tells me i need a plate/seal that goes behing the fly wheel? he said it was aluminum ? does anyone know what this is and where i can get one

Thanks in advance Rich

Guest Dean_H.

Hi Rich,

My '29 rear seal was made of pot metal and broke up when I tried to get it out. You can check out my '1929 Hupmobile project' (page 2) to see how I made a new one. It was not easy. I've run the motor some and it has not leaked any oil. I'm not sure if yours is the same.

There was a guy online who had restored several Hupps and was selling a reproduction of the rear seal and holder. Unfortunately I can no longer find his site. I think his price was $400. Hopefully someone else here knows where to find one if you decide not to make your own.

Rich if your engine is the 6 cyl there is a fellow that is reproducing the rear main bearing oil seal retainer out of aluminum. The cost was $185.00 plus shipping in 2004. I am not sure what the price is today. His phone # is 972-625-5376 and his Email is hupnut@sbcglobal.net If you do not belong to the Hupp club there is a wealth of information that any member has the access to. I am a charter member and you will never find a nicer group of people on this earth. Hope this helps. Keep on Huppn Chuck