casting numbers

Guest 1930

Ok it does not sound as if there are any way of referancing casting #s for these vehicles but I am surprised that noone has looked into this further and reported their findings. The cylinder head in my car has a couple of sets of #s toward the rear directly on top of head and they read 27628 and then a large space and 210100, the engine # is H-129-421 wich makes it a being built sometime between 7-1-29 and 12-31-29.

I have a spare motor that has the #s 6328...210100 cast into the head at the same place and its engine # is H-34-156 which makes it a much earlier motor. I am guessing that the 210100 is the casting # for all of these heads since they both share this but does anyone have any idea what the 27628 which is on the later motor and the 6328 which is on the earlier motor have to do with each other or what they are there for? I am also assuming ( and please someone correct me if I am wrong ) that it is possible that these heads will interchange with other motors of varying displacement or are these heads only going to work on these particular engines? If anyone with DA would like to chime in with their Head #s that would be great also.

post-48869-143138044399_thumb.jpg

That is defanitely something to think about, you may be right. As far as the rest of the #s they are very close to the part numbers and exact to some of the part #s given in book but some of them have extra digits that I cannot figure out yet and will work on

You guys are getting my interest up. My June 20-24 '29 DA, just before changeover to '30, has 16328 cast number on it. Isn't the DA engine unique to DA? No DAs for '28, so I don't think mine was swapped. Would that be a lot of lead time if the code is day/month/year. The head would have to be cast 15 months ahead of the car production? Some cars, VWs use stupid codes. Some start with 1 being the first year of production, but that wouldn't work either. Or the 16th week of the year. Did anyone just ask Harry?? He knows everything!

My above post was merely a guess. I have tried to find markings like that on my '31 DB heads, but cannot decipher them nearly the same way or at all. Where's Harry when you need him. Harry who, by the way?

Here is what Ihave come up with so far, I have only been able to get info on a few cars but it is interesting and dont think the idea about it being a prod. time is correct at this point. I will only list the cars I have the engine #s for, I will list them by first name only

Danes DA deluxe sedan...Head # 84827-210100

Engine # H 1011107

Jacks DA roadster...Head # 84027-210100

engine # unknown at this point still checking

My DA victoria ...Head # 27628-210100

engine # h-129-421

My spare motor which came out of early DA sedan..Head # 6328-210100

Other Victoria...Head # 27628-210100

engine # unkown at this point

Doug DA deluxe sedan?? head # 16328 and can assume followed by a 210100

The DA parts book gives the 210100 as a part # so we know what that is all about.

Danes head and Jacks head both end with 27 all others end with 28. My DA abd the other Victoria both have identical #s

ending in 628

Dougs motor and my spare motor end with 328

Exhaust manifold part # in DA parts book is 210410

I dont know the # on Dougs manifold but would asumme it is 210403 or 210408 or 210400 as have been the others I have collected, does not match the part # in book but close, there also seems to be some confusion on the last digit being a 0 or 3 or 8 because it is difficult to read/worn

My past software experience with Mechanical Engineers leads me to wonder about two things you might consider in this number chase:

1. As different casting stations/locations were making this part they may have wanted to track which station/location the part came from for quality control. If they found a error was being made they could easily track all the others made at that same station and systematically find the other 'bad' parts.

2. Most mass produced parts of assemblies go through changes. This requires a 'version' or 'revision' number on the part. These numbes are always noted on the engineering drawings of the part. The part number may not change as that is just an assembly part number. But they would want to know which part version were the 'newer' design verses older design in case the designs changed so much that you could not replace a version 2 head with a version 7 head (because te block was also revised at version 7 to accomidate the version 7 head). So the dealer would have to find an 'older' head that matched that particular block.

In essence, you will need the engineering drawings of the parts to piece all this together. You also may need a dealer repair book that has the 'compatibility' chart for what versions of parts can be interchanged and what can't - a Hollander of the day.

Hope this helps. Just thinking out loud.

Maybe this mysterious 'date' code is really a combination of the date (28 seems to be consistent with the year of the cars noted above) and the first three digits the casting station? It could also be a 'batch' number if they made a whole bunch at one time, then stopped until the warehouse was at a certain level before they made the subsequent batch (and change the number accordingly).

Another data point: one of my DA motors has

Engine # H126-387

Head # 26028-210100

I have a couple more to check at another location.

On Danes DA deluxe sedan...

Head # 84827-210100

Engine # H 1011107 (something's wrong with this #)

Many "date-code" systems use the first numbers being the day of the year (i.e., start at #1 and end at #365) and the last two numbers the year. This theory was taking shape until I saw Dane's and Jack's head date-code numbers (84827 & 84027). However, these #'s both end in 27, so its possible they changed the code scheme in 28. Obviously we need more data.

I read about another Chrysler casting number scheme where the date code was a 10,000 day calendar which started at day #1 and ended at day #10000 which works out to cover dates for about 27 years! (This is clearly not what we are seeing in the DA heads as the year would be redundant). They apparently used this scheme in late 40's early 50's as I recall.

I appreaciate your reply 72 caddy and Doug and everyones reply, I have been away though the last couple of days trying to sell an old Chevy and have not had time to really give it my attention but it makes sense. I will have more time again tomm. to give it more thought. Thanks again, Oh you too Joe, thank-ya thank-ya thank-ya