WOOD REMOVAL AND REPLACMENT

I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A RESTORATION PROJECT ON A 1935 PACKARD 1205 LIMO. DURING THE INSTALLATION OF THE RUNNING BOARDS, I FOUND THE WOOD ROTTED OUT WHERE THEY SCREW UNDER THE BODY. I TREID TO REMOVE THE OLD WOOD BUT COULD NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THE BLOCK OF WOOD THAT COME DOWN FROM THE FLOOR BOARD OUT. THEY ARE REALY SOLID IN PLACE BUT THE WOOD THEY HOLD IN IS NOT.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THESE OUT? AND BE ABLE TO REPLACE THE BACK INTO PLACE. I THOUGHT MAYBE THEY ARE SCREWED IN FROM THE SIDE THUR THE BODY PANEL KICK PANEL, BUT CAN NOT FIND ANY SCREWS WITHOUT REMOVEING THE PAINT. IF THERE ARE SCREWS THERE THE I CAN DEAL WITH THAT, BUT DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO REPAINT AN AREA THAT I DO NO NEED TO.

THANKS cry.gif

On Packards and most wood framed cars of the era the wood was assembled first and the sheetmetal tacked on afterwards. In other words all of the fasteners are underneath the external sheetmetal. You will need to totally disassemble the body if you choose to replace the wood as it was originally.

• 2 weeks later...

clawson...........I would suggest you study the problem more and if you can get a copy of "How Packard Builds a Body" ( black and white movie of '29~30). It will give you an insight as to how these bodies were built in their day.