Solid State Ignition

Anybody have experience (positive or negitive) with the installation and maintainability of the solid state replacement ignition systems now available? I am considering replaceing the breaker points etc. on my '68 Olds 455 Delta 88. Saw a system advertised in JWO that interested me. Is the hotter coil a good recomendation that is worthy of consideration?

Thanks,

Mickey

I have a Pertronix Ignitor II in my 74 350 Hurst/Olds and a Mallory Unilite conversion in my 69 455 Toronado. I have been very pleased with both. I'm considering a Pertronix for the Starfire but honestly don't know if I drive the car enough to justify it. Plus it keeps me in practice with points ignition!

When the Hurst was on points, I had to run retarded timing with 93 octane fuel. After installing the Pertronix, I was actually able to advance the initial timing a couple degrees past spec and the car will run happily on 87 or 89 octane.

A Unilite will have to remain on the resistance wire to avoid burning it out as it's designed to operate at about the same voltage as a points system. Pertronix will operate on either resistance or full voltage but I think it operates a little more efficiently on full 12v.

The Pertronix sometimes requires a few seconds to charge itself up before cranking. I turn the switch to "RUN", count 5, then start the engine. Turning it immediately to "RUN", well, you're gonna crank a while.

Just make sure to get the Pertronix II. The original Ignitor I sometimes has air gap problems in an Olds distributor and has to have shims, which are aggravating to set.

I got the Pertronix coil to go with the Ignitor just to be safe, plus I figured a 30+ year old coil might not be at the top of its game. The Toronado is using a Borg-Warner parts store replacement with no issues.

I also had a Unilite in my 73 Delta convertible, and had some ignition related problems that ultimately traced back to the Accel coil I installed at the same time. That was the only coil I ever had to completely fail.

Jacobs used to make a really fine electronic ignition conversion too, but they weren't as easy to find or get parts for as the Mallory and Pertronix units.

Take it you know about the GM HEI distributor to intake interference on early 455s?

The February issue of Hemmings has an article on upgrading your older ignition using an electronic ignition from a 70's car. I do not remember the details but I believe yours was covered. I lent mine to a friend so I do not have it right now. If you can not find someone with it, let me know and I will check on the copy.

The article is entitled Electronic Ignition Distributors.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim_Edwards

The Pertronix units are great! However, buy the Pertronix II and matching coil. The original Pertronix is cheaper, but if the ignition key is left on for more than a minute without starting the engine it may burn itself up. The newer design Pertronix II unit does not have this flaw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pfloro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello MIckey:

The interference that Glenn mentions is due to the physical size of the GM HEI distributor. It's diameter is larger than the original distributor & perhaps the HEI unit doesn't sit as high above the block. </div></div>

Actually, it's only the larger diameter. The base of the distributor is just as high off the block as it is for points distributors. The other problem with Olds motors is the fact that both the small block and big block motors use the same distributor. Since the big block has a taller deck height, the intake manifold is closer to the underside of the distributor than it is on a small block.

• 7 months later...