Fire and rain.....

keiser31

I cannot be positive about the Bantam. I was told that is was a 1934 and was fully restored. I only know what the earlier Bantams look like. I thought that the "grille" looked a little hokey to be an original, too. I questioned the skirts and the guy said that they were original although I have never seen any before.

The little roadester is a 1930-1932 American Austin. The grill and headlight bar has been modified and the shirted front fender also has been added. Bantams came later 1937-1940. They were basically the same car but they were cosmetically updated. This is my wife and her 1930 Austin coupe.

Guest Econovanman

Wow, everyone is talking about the particulars of the model of car they thought it was when it is clearly so devistating barring any insurance claim that if they were mine and I had had a hand in restoring them I think I would cry for about a month!!!

Econovanman, I doubt there is a person here who doesn't mourn the loss of these cars and feel sorry for the owner. That being said we are all car nuts and can't pass on the chance to discuss features on any given model.

Curti, since your the Bantam expert on this post, what did that body start life as? I looked all over the net and every Austin of this era has a sloped back with a spare tire embedded in it.This one seems to have a trunk like a Model A roadster or coupe.

Howard Dennis

Bob, Ya got to help me out here, my old eyes don't see what your talking about. I'm posting a picture of the only style Austin coupe I've ever seen. They have no trunk. I see rear quarter panels with what appears to be a matching belt line (now out of alignment due to fire damage) a trunk lid and even a package tray area much like a 1929 Model A roadster only smaller.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-14313803922_thumb.jpg