Buick Trucks

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

I know that every now and again we discuss trucks here. With the discussion (I think in the Buick Buy/Sell forum) about a 1910 McLaughlin truck, I've been intrigued.

Doing a search online provided some references to early trucks, including a 1910 Model 2 (or 2A...I forget) at the Buick Research Center at the Sloan. However, I was just going through the Standard Catalog of Buick and they don't have any truck references for 1910 through the early 20s.

So, is there a definitive source out there for truck production with years, models, production numbers, etc? Do I have to cross my fingers and hope Mr. Corbin has some answers in his vast array of data? I seem to recall a Bugle article...does anyone have a date for that (I'm so disorganized)? My memory should be much better for someone my age and IQ...sigh.

Thanks.

Here's the 1910 from the Buick Gallery at the Sloan.

1910BuickTruck5.jpg

Here's one that was in the parade...it seems to me it was 1916...DandyDave knows for sure.

BuickTruck224.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

From eBay auction for 1911 calendar page:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911 BUICK CANOPY EXPRESS TRUCK:

Pictured above is an original, unrestored 1911 Buick truck, valued today at over $18,000. It's equipped with a 20-horsepower 2-cylinder engine with 3-speed planetary transmission, chain drive, disc clutch with steering column controls, mechanical brakes on two wheels, hand-crank start, and wooden wheels. Buick trucks were built from 1910 until 1918; and after a 4-year hiatus, from 1922 to 1923. About 1000 units were built each year. Production ceased when the company decided to concentrate on passenger car production alone, a policy they have continued ever since. </div></div>

Thanks Mark for pointing this out to me.

Assuming the above facts are correct, I would presume that perhaps the McLaughlin Motor Car Company would have added a few to those numbers.

I guess I'll have to keep digging to see if there is a definitive source of information on Buick trucks...even if I were to find a book, it's too late to let The Boss know in time for Christmas....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one that was in the parade...it seems to me it was 1916...DandyDave knows for sure. </div></div>

That's Larry Schramms Truck. It is a 1915. I got a call from Larry a while ago and it seems the C4 Buick truck now has a broken axle. Dandy Dave!

Guest imported_Thriller

So you're getting back into axle fabrication are you Dave? wink.gif

The one photo Mark posted from the parade was listed as a 1923 Cantrell Depot, so it presumably is a custom body, although I wonder if "Cantrell" was just a style.

The more I figure out the more confused I am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you're getting back into axle fabrication are you Dave?

</div></div>

You never know when you will be called to duty to help a fellow collector with trouble. Larry picked my brain for some information and also asked about the possibility of me doing it if he needed to. It is difficult to do a job like ths without the hubs if it indeed did have a broken axle and distance can be a problem. It may also have been a sheered key in a worn grove. I'm not sure what he has found, or done, since the call? smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks Pete. I knew I'd seen something in the Bugle...of course, something that recent shouldn't have been wiped from my memory banks already.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Derek:

Yes, my frame and engine number info does include all the trucks that Buick built. They were Buicks too.

I got to drive Mel Boonstra's 1916 at the BCA National in Chicago in 1980.

In regard to the name "Cantrell", they were a custom body builder. I seem to remember an upper New York state location, but am not sure. I've seen their bodies on Dodge Power Wagon and International Harvester truck chassis.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know that talking to Mark & Dandy Dave was helpful and much appreciated. With the weather here in Michigan running in the single digits, have put off the axle problem till it gets warmer. :-) The pictures of the Flint parade bring back a great day....even thought I was following the chartruse lady

Larry, you may have been behind me, but you by no means were last by a long shot. I think it was the Marr Cycle Car. Poor fellows, I think they were out of gas right off of the line. at least they did not have to push it far to get in the line up. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Oldcartech

I am happy to see people are interested in Buick Trucks. They are often an overlooked part of the Buick Historical Record. I obtained a 1911 after finding it is a collapsed building. The wood was home to termites, where the rest hadn't rotted away with time. It now belongs to my wife who absolutely loves it. It was fun to restore and is nice on the eyes. I have an extensive list of Buick Truck owners that I have had for 35/40 years, however I have no idea if these people are alive today or are still owners of the truck they once had. I would like to join a Buick Truck Club if one exists. I would attach a picture but can't seem to figure out how it is done.