Brass pipe for babbitt bearings

Guest PWN

Guest imported_PWN

Looking to save a little money versus using solid stock.

Anyone know of anyplace that may have the following. I have been told that recyclers are an option but have found nothing on-line.

8-10" long ID (inside diameter) 2" and OD of 3 "

14" long ID 2" OD 2.5"

The lengths can be a little shorter. The lengths I posted will yield enough for 3 bearings. Smaller pieces may yield fewer bearing stock.

Thank you for any info.

Peter

If you are making bearings, brass is no good. Oil lite Bronze is what you will need. But be advised, this is not the best material for rod and main bearings though. Modern engines still use babbit which is a thin coating on the steel bearing shell. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest imported_PWN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are making bearings, brass is no good. Oil lite Bronze is what you will need. But be advised, this is not the best material for rod and main bearings though. Modern engines still use babbit which is a thin coating on the steel bearing shell. wink.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

The fellow doing the bearing says babbitt will not bond to the Bronze because of the oil. We are redoing the original 100% babbitt with brass backed babbitt.

The rods are done and all we have remaining are the three mains.

I have tried Mcmaster but cannot find what I need.

What we will likely end up doing is machining solid brass stock. More expensive this way, but there may be no options.

The folks doing the work are very experience with babbitt as they have been doing them since the 40's.

Godwin Singer Machine shop in St. Pete. All my Florida Antique car owning friends have vouched for their work.

Thanks for the input all.

Guest Dart1917

You can use bronze but not the oilite type. McMaster has Alloy 932 (SAE 660) cored rods 13" long.This is a good bearing bronze and should take the babbit ok. I made the bearings for my 1917 Buda engine out of this material and didn't babbit them. I machined them slightly undersize and had them honed to fit the crankshaft. The 2"X 3" size is #8911K63 at 147.65. Good luck, Ed