16 DB Speedometer problem

vergil

Guest oldodgeboys

Bill- I had to replace the cable on my 25 and I could'nt find a replacement cable antwhere. I used a company from the DB supplier list, Commercial Speedometer Service in CA. They were great!

I had the inner flexible drive cable and the outer sheath replaced, but they used all the original ends for the inner drive and the outer sheath. Looks just like original.

I also sent them the actual drive gear assembly (from trans) and the speedometer. I told them what length I wanted and they made the parts as required (in your case they may be able to do this with only the original cable?). My total cost was $60.00.

If your speedo drive gear housing is worn due to thrust forces from the gears (like mine was), tell Commercial about that so they can compensate if need be.

If your cable end is messed up, that may be a problem. They may be able to fabricate, not sure.

It's good to know exactly how slow you're really going!

Good luck.

Gus

While we're on the subject of '16 speedos, my car's speedo remains (housing only, pretty much)have the cable coming in on the passenger side of the housing, straight down, like the others I've seen, but they're all centered at the bottom of the housing. Anyone have any clues as to what the original speedo in this car was?

thanks!

David D.

Sorry, I'm not sure what is correct for your car but I am sure someone else here does.

Is it a 1916? I have several different speedos with 'Dodge Brothers' on the face if you find out you need a particular type. I got these when I bought the car and do not know the correct application - all are complete and in good drivers shape. If you can get a picture of what you need, I may be able to help.

I should have stated my need is for a 1919 Touring speedo cable.

<Edited for spelling.

Sorry to steal your thread, Bill!

I have a JM white faced dial type speedo to replace this one, but all the ones I've seen, including this one, have the speedo drive connection centered at the very bottom of the speedo body. The speedo case that's left in my dash (vandals took out the rest of it decades ago) has the connection offset to the passenger side, also pointing straight down. Has anyone seen another one like this? I'd post a pic, but it's buried under tarps.

Thanks!