'63 color combinations

Guest buickriv63

Guest buickriv63

I'm new to this site and also fresh owner of a '63 riviera. The exterior color was originally Bronze mist (code S), but now it's white. Interior is Saddle/brown (code 798). My question is: was it possible to order any ext./int. color combination from the factory, or were certain combinations bound together? So is this white/saddle combination of mine factory-correct? Also, the usually wood-grained door panels are in my car black. Was that an option, or are they re-sprayed?

The car has very few options: wonderbar radio, power antenna and tinted glass (ACC. code D and I6, or 16, I'm not sure). Can somebody explain these codes? Thank you!

Name with held as a request?

We're a friendly group here and enjoy conversing on a first name basis. smile.gif

Only options that required modifications to the stock body from the firewall back are listed on the Fisher Body plate. D was the option code for any/all radios, I6, not 1, is the code for the tinted glass. Tilt, Cruise, power antenna, and other similar items that just required setting the part or wiring harness in place are not listed on the Fisher Body plate.

White would have been available with the saddle brown interior, so that's not a problem as far as authenticity is concerned. However, the door panels are usually the same color as the seats. One theory, and it's only mine so don't take it to the bank, is that the car originally came with the standard interior and someone found the door panels from a custom interior car and made an upgrade even though the colors didn't match. Standard door panels did not have wood grain or the full lenght arm rest with door handles that operate from the rear seats.

Jim Cannon would like to know the build date and FB number from the Fisher plate as well as the placement of the spare tire, whether the speedometer is 120 or 140 mph, and if the dash has the finned aluminum veneer on it or if it's plain silver paint.

Good luck with your inquiries.

Ed

Guest buickriv63

Hello again! Sorry, I forgot to mention my name and location. My name is Pasi and I live in Finland. Yes, I meant the woodgrained panels, which are now black. The trim code line reads as follows: 798 SS ¤PAINT (¤ marking somekind of starfigure)

The sparetire is on the shelf, but I don't know if it's on the correct place. The speedometer goes to 140 MPH and the dash is made of that finned aluminium. The FB number is 32933 and the build date is O5C.

I don't know much about the US history of the car, but it came to Finland 1990. The interior is original, only the doorpanels are painted. It has also those fivespoke aluminium wheels, which were later option. Otherwise it's fairly stock. The car is almost completely free of rust and never welded (a California car?). The front bumber has a sticker for driving permit to UCLA (a gate pass, dated -72). Thanks again!

Pasi

Thanks, Pasi!

For a car built in May of 1963, having the spare up on the shelf is correct.

TRIM 798 is the same as my car, a very pretty saddle leather. It is also deluxe interior so you have the long arm rest, 2 door opening handles per door inside, and the wood grain panels. So pretty. There is a link to photos of my car in my signature.

Enjoy the car!

Guest buickriv63

Thank you Jim for this information!

I suppose they sell those woodgrained doorpanels somewhere?

Off the topic: Since my car isn't a real finnish car (imported as a new vehicle), I wonder, how many '63 Rivieras were actually exported? I believe ,that for example here in Finland there is absolutely zero '63 Rivieras with a km/h speedometer and other european acessories.

Pasi

Yes, the wood grain veneer panels are available from a few different vendors. Note that '63 does not have a black stripe on it. There are no holes for vent window crank handle or side mirror control knob, you have to cut them if you need them.

We have heard of a few cars exported in '63 and imported to countries such as Belgium and (I think) Germany. I have seen one UK conversion to RHD. Imports were handled by a third party.

You could make a new lens for your speedometer with km/h numbers distributed across it, if you wanted. The ring is easily removed and then the lens is held in with a few screws; 140 mph is about 225 kph. The odometer would still be miles.

Yes, Originally that's how they came from the factory. My '63,which was built in the last week of Jan. '63, came with the 140mph speedometer, the aluminum veneer dash, but the spare tire hold down bracket was still on the right side floor of the trunk. My spare tire cover is a full sized cover. When the spare went to the shelf, it only came with a half sized tire cover.

Ed

Guest Riviera66

The May/June 2007 issue of the Riview has my article in it that covers the numbers exported for the various years...

Darwin Falk

1966-70 ROA Technical Advisor

Guest buickriv63

Thanks for the information, Darwin. I wonder if you have those figures for '63 exported Rivieras at hand, since I don't have that particular issue of the Riview?

And to Jim: does this 798 trim code always mean leather seats, since mine are of vinyl? Was leather an option? I though have those long armrests with two opening handles in my car.

Thanks again!

Pasi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buickriv63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And to Jim: does this 798 trim code always mean leather seats, since mine are of vinyl? Was leather an option? I though have those long armrests with two opening handles in my car.

Thanks again!

Pasi </div></div>

Yes, with that TRIM code, yours was originally a mix of Saddle leather and vinyl.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys,

My friends call me Deano. I bought a '63 this past summer and have been going through it fixing small things to make it a very nice car. It was originally RR - Desert Sand with a 798J2 deluxe saddle leather interior. Now for my question: The PO has re-painted it a year correct F code Marlin Blue and I'm wondering if the Saddle interior would have been an available color combo with the blue or not?

I'm new to the ROA and this forum so forgive me if this info is available somewhere I haven't looked yet.

Dean Koehler

Beaverton, OR

'63 Riviera

55 MGTF

58 Chevy Delray 2 door

72Volvo 1800E

73 Volvo 1800ES

Yes, I understand that you could order something particularly heinous if you wished, but I was asking more about the "standard" color combinations that you might ordinarily see on the lot, not special order "madness".

In my mind the brown saddle interior paired with the Marlin Blue exterior looks a bit odd.

Dean K

Beaverton, OR

'63

Dean,

According to the 1963 Buick Color and Trim book, exterior paint colors used with the Saddle leather interior were:

Regal Black code A

Arctic White code C

Spruce Green code E

Burgundy code N

Desert Sand code R

Bronze Mist code S

Fawn Mist code T

As Ed has noted, if you were spending 4-5K in the early 60's on a car, you could get about any color you wanted but there would probably be a delay as the factory would have written back to the dealer asking " Are you sure about this?" I for one would think that Granada red or Diplomat Blue would look great with a Saddle leather interior. But as I noted, that combo was not "officially" available.