Initial oil change

Guest Steve Shore

Guest Steve Shore

I have just bought a 1952 Special with 18,000 original miles. It runs and drives beautifully. I have a question - what should I do about the initial oil change - can a good quality detergent oil be used in an original engine like this?

I use the "Classic Car" oil with ZDP that is sold by the Indiana club in all of my other cars. However, those engines have all be re-build and overhauled. I have never dealt with a 55 year old engine that has never been torn down.

BTW - this is my first classic Buick. I've got mostly Fords and two Z28's. For some reason this car just struck me and i bought it.

Perhaps there are some aged lube stickers on the door or under the hood? These might offer some guidance as to what the prior owner might have used. Finding a high quality replacement oil filter might be more of a concern than the oil.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Steve Shore

Thanks for the reply - the filter is not a problem - Autozone has the filter in stock. I am just wondering about running a detergent oil in what might have been a non-detergent engine.

I guess I will probably just go ahead and run HD oil in it.

Are you sure AutoZone has the filter in stock? I always have to order it for mine (which should be the same as yours). Unfortunately, the only parts store brand that seems to fit it is the Fram C4P (I'm going from memory here)...lately I've just been ordering a few at a time from Bob's Automobilia...Needless to say, I've never found one in stock at a parts store...As far as oil is concerned, I assume you're talking about running detergent vs. non-detergent oil. If this is an unknown engine, I urge you to pull the side cover and oil pan and clean the sludge out, or at the very least, when you drain the oil, stick your finger into the drain hole and feel for sludge. If there's a lot (and there probably will be), it's a good idea to clean it out. As far as oil type is concerned, with a clean side cover and pan, I see no reason not to run detergent oil...I run diesel oil (Rotella or Tractor Supply brand) in all my cars. Even the new SM Rotella apparently has 1200 PPM of zinc, and I found 10W30 at my local Menard's. Good luck!

Usually in an engine that has an oil filter it was recommended to run detergent oil. Non deter. was only used in engines that did not have oil filters. I would not be concerned about using a detergent oil in this one. Any floating crud is taken out with the filter. As stated earlier, there probably is buildup of some sort and it would be a good idea to pull the covers and the pan if possible.

Guest Straight eight

One thing to remember when suggesting detergent oil should be used if the car had a filter, is the filter only filtered 10-15% of the oil. These were not full flow filters that came out with the V8 engines. smile.gif

I should be understood that an engine that had been in use back in 1952 has used a non detergant oil and since the engine has a non detergant life it is best you continue using the same type oil unless you do a complete clean out during a rebuild. To use a detergant now will lift the sludge and damage all your moving parts in the engine