Bendix brake booster

Bhigdog

Bob, I checked with my brother-in-law, who ran his own auto parts business from about the mid fifties through the late 90's and he remembers Bendix vacuum cylinder oil as being a viscous white grease similar in consistency to Vaseline. It had very good high temp characteristics and would cling to the lubricated parts well. I wonder if high temp lithium grease would be a good substitute.

Frank

If the brake booster is a treadlevac unit, then it uses a leather seal for the booster inside. What I was told and used on my 54 Lincoln treadlevac is neets foot oil, which is available at western wear stores. It works fine in my treadlevac. If it is a hydrovac or powervac, then I would check that out before using neets foot oil.

Thanks guys. It's a Bendix unit but the book doesn't offer a designation beyond that. The piston cup is leather and neatsfoot is a good leather conditioner but I'm not sure of it's lubricating properties.

I disassembled the unit to bead blast and finish the exterior and to check the innards. The unit seems to be in excellant shape internally so I'm just going to put everything back where it was. I would like to lubricate the seals with what it's lubricated with now to avoid possible problems with mixing lubricants.

Anyone else have any info on "vacuum cylinder oil" ???...Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have thought that anything the consistency of white/lithium grease wouldn't be called "oil", </div></div>

I think I will have to agree with you. The book actually says to "dip" the piston seal wick into the oil "and let the excess drip off". So that narrows the lubricant down to a fluid rather than a grease. There are some Google references to a "cylinder oil" but that seems to mean a heavy 600W oil used to lubricate steam engine cylinders.

I like your idea of air tool oil. It seems like it would be designed for just the correct properties of a good lubricant not suseptable to oxidation and thickening.

The search continues. Anyone else that can help?????.......Bob

Guest imported_pete324rock

I will quote my Chiltons book under Bendix Hydrovac:

"Maintenance of the Hydrovac"

"The seals on the vacuum piston are made of leather and so require lubrication with a special power brake cylinder oil.If this oil is not available,some pure neats foot oil,obtainable from drugstores,can be used instead.One ounce of the special oil or neats foot oil should be introduced into the vacuum cylinder every six months through the lubrication plug provided in the end of the cylinder".

Further,under Bendix Power-vac(round or oval type) there is also a mention of lubrication.

"Saturate felt with Bendix Vacuum cylinder oil or Delco Shock Absorber Fluid - Type A"

Hope this is useful. pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> or Delco Shock Absorber Fluid - Type A"</div></div>

That does help, Pete. Thanks. I have neats foot oil on hand. I'm not sure where or even if shock absorber fluid is available.

I talked to a booster rebuilder today and he says they use a synthetic grease called SuperLube..........Bob

Guest imported_pete324rock

I also looked in my olds service manual-they have extensive coverage about rebuilding either the Bendix or Moraine units offered that year('56) and they only talk of using shock absorber oil in that application.

Checking the Olds and Buick manuals was a good idea. The Olds does say shock oil. The Buick says to use AT fluid. I'm now of the opinion that it really doesn't matter too much what is used so I'm going to go with air tool oil. Thanks to all who took the time to reply........Bob