Strange Tranny ?

ReattaBoy

hello i have 1990 reatta and i recentley started having a strange problem when i tried to shift to reverser i had to wiggle the shifter to get it to engage then a few days later i went to leave the store and i put in reverse and backout and go to put it in drive and no drive gears so i put it in park and then when shifting from park i could move the shifter through all gears but it would stay in park then it finally came outta park i notice if i move the shifter really fast from ppark to 1st gear it will engage and sometimes nothing any ideas to this cause?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-a-n-i-e-l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check your trany fluid and shift linkage. Also run a diagnostic, it may have one or two bad shift silniod. </div></div>

Daniel, I believe you are thinking about a 91 model transmission. I don't think the 90 model was computer controlled or used solenoids for shifting.

Guest CL_Reatta

Ya, dont have any shift solenoids in a hydralic tranny... check the shift linkage and make sure it isnt hanging up or anything

Guest CL_Reatta

Check the shift linkages... there isnt really such thing as "you need a new tranny" until you check everything first

Guest CL_Reatta

Ya, but a junk yard guarantee really isnt much. why replace a tranny when it might just be something small. Same logic goes for a engine... okay it doesnt start, but there is good oil level... doesnt mean you replace the eninge.

Have someone look at the linkage at the transmission as you shift the lever inside.

The linkage is a cable....the inside moves and the outside is supposed to be attached at both ends. If something is loose, broken or a screw has come out then it doesn't function properly.