leaky water pump model a 1931

hksdrager

hey there i got a 1931 ford model a water pump and right around the big nut that the rod goes through its leaking pretty good. i cant tighten it up any more and they say not to tighten to much so what do i do lol i did tightin it tight and that still didnt work. thanks in advance

Guest Bob Call

Sounds like your packing is worn out if tightening the packing nut doesn't stop the leak. Get new packing from a supplier like Macs or Snyders and try that.

The Model A water pump has a compression packing. You have to occasionally (decades in time if you drive a little each year) add more. When you get a drip you use a screw driver to crank it down until it stops.

Now you want to first back the nut out and make sure your shaft looks good. The shaft should be smooth. If it is all pitted up then you need to put a new shaft on or you will be having more problems soon after. Also check the bushings and bearing. Check for vertical play. There should not be much play.

Guest kakenk

I had the same problem with my 1930 Model A. I tried tightening the packing, replacing the packing and using a "modern" bushing and packing. Nothing worked. Finally, I replaced the pump with modern style pump from Snyder's and that ended the problem.

• 3 years later...
Guest BOBS A2

how do you change the packing? i'm trying to change the packing on my 1930 Model A. Do you just loosen off the star nut (i don't know what it's called) and then take off the old lead packing to put the new one one?

Guest carlnut50

I use spigot packing from the hardware store. It is rope with graphite and don't cost much. Don't tighten it any more than you have to to stop the leak. Any more just wears out the shaft and packing. Those old pumps are really supposed to have a controlled leak, instead of no leak at all ever. Our culture is different today than it used to be. One drop and people get all bent out of shape.

Agreeing totally with carlnut50. I can't quite understand all this desire to convert these old pumps to modern seals. It's only a gravity cooling system to there is no pressure to speak of on the seal. I repacked my 34 Packard with graphited cord packing about 40 years ago and in over 40,000 miles of driving have only had to adjust the packing nut 3 or 4 times. And yes, the tension of the packing nut is correct when you get the occasional drip - that's what lubricates the shaft and packing. In addition to the graphited cord packing, you can also buy preformed split rings of the same type material from several of the hobby suppliers.

• 7 years later...
22 minutes ago, FRANK 1 said:

Can I put new packing in waterpump with out taking the pump apart

Yes, and it is best to use the packing sold by the model A vendors, Ford said not to use string faucet packing. Original packing is lead and graphite only.

• Like 1