lights but no action

Guest snowdrift

Obviously, I have no life because I just finished reading this entire post. Amazing, only here would someone have gotten the advice to find this problem. Snowdrift is probably right, that many mechanics would have thrown money at it until they found the problem. Now snowdrift can drive it for around three days before winter hits in Minnesota and then park it until next spring.

Guest simplyconnected

It's a dance, ekvh. One restorer gives accurate, free, advice, and the other restorer uses that valuable knowledge to fix a non-running car. I don't know how a web board could be better than that. Two days ago, this car was about to be 'stored' in the back forty. Now, it's a daily driver.

Kudos go to Ronnie for supplying good electrical diagrams and accurately walking snowdrift through the electrical 'steps'. Kudos also go to snowdrift for sticking with it, and actually doing the work. Many non-electricians would have quit long ago out of frustration. Good going, guys! I know snowdrift's mechanic is crying over all that money he lost, as we speak. I also know that many of the Reatta guys here, made notes about this starting circuit for future reference. Brilliant job.

Guest snowdrift

Thanks to all!! This site is a necessity for someone like me, and I am sure others to. I drove to Duluth today and enjoyed the hum of the Reatta, 188,000 and counting.

• 2 months later...

Ronnie,,,,

For some reason I did not see your above reply / post of 10-08-08....until now. I am sorry.

Several years back I experienced the same exact symptoms of the IPC going black and no start....it was an immediate failure as it did not get worse over time...just all of a sudden had the no start condition. I asked Hal (2seater) for help with this program, and we attempted (or should I say Hal directed me what diagnostic procedures to atempt over the phone)to isolate and repair the problem over the phone with no success.

I / we finally gave up and I had the coupe (1990) towed to an Olds Dealer that had an extremely efficient and knowledgable shop forman. He came back with the ignition switch LOCK probability. He replace the ignition lock and showed me the part afterwards (and pointed out the two thin and frayed wires on the side). As I recall, he did not state any other possible functions of the thin wires of the lock other than ...they were the reason for the no start??????

Nic

• 4 years later...

This is what we will miss with Ronnie gone. When Ronnie was on your problem you could feel confident that there would be a solution. We still have a stable of guys, but Ronnie liked to be there first.

What a series of posts. In case anyone wonders how/why I know of this car, it is because I bought it. When I was reading these posts as it was happening I kept thinking that I was glad it wasn't my car. But later when I called Jim Finn about me buying a second Reatta, he told me about a real nice Black/Gray Reatta. [Thanks Jim] I never connected that this was that same car. I have owned it from April of 2009 and never had an ignition issue with it, even after putting another 60,000 miles on it.

Thanks Ronnie!

• 7 years later...

This is a great documentary of how one Reatta owner [Ronnie] helped another Reatta owner. It is too bad that this forum isn't what it used to be, and something that I and others miss.

However after 11 years of ownership I have decided to part with this Reatta. I myself have put 110,000 miles on this car and it has treated me well. 2seater and myself came to an agreement and he will be the new owner of this car and I wish him good miles. If nothing else it has many new parts, and I wish him well with it. I can't believe it has been 11 years!

I still have 3 others so will still be here.