1937 Century -- Slantback versus Humpback Sedans

scott12180

Hi all,

I've been researching the Century for 1937 and have an idea that I wonder if someone really sharp could support or refute.

The Century is generally thought to use the 126-inch wheelbase while the Special used the 122-inch wheelbase. Might it be possible that the Slantback Sedans for 1937 (at least) used the 122 inch wheelbase whereas the Humpback Sedans used the slightly longer 126-inch wheelbase?

What do you think? Anyone have a 1937 Slantback Century (a confirmed Century) who could measure their wheelbase???

Thanks very much --- Scott

There's no way that a Century would use anything other than the 126" chassis, regardless of the body installed on it. When I was looking for my Century, I found a lot of sedanettes where the owners didn't know exactly what they had--one even tried to convince me that his was a "Century Special". If it's 122 inches, I guarantee it's a Special. If it's 126, it's a Century.

The extra wheelbase length is entirely in front of the firewall to accommodate the longer engine. The Century and Special bodies are otherwise identical. On the '41s at least, they're completely interchangeable. In fact, the doors on my Century have two sets of mounting holes for the slightly different angles of the stainless side trim due to the different lengths of the hoods.

I don't know if both the slant back and humpback sedan bodies were offered on the Century chassis, though.

Hope this helps.

Scott,

The 1937 Buick slantback body (called Streamline by Buick) has the same overall length as the humpback (aka trunkback) body. This can be confirmed with a close examination of the side views of the two body types.

All of the Centurys have the same wheelbase as the Roadmaster, since both use the long 320 cubic inch engine.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138008001_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143138008004_thumb.jpg

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Grandpa:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've gotten it wrong on the 1937 wheelbases. 122" is a Special and 126" is a Century and you are correct that all the difference is in front of the firewall to accomodate the biger 320 engine.

However, the wheelbase of a Roadmaster is 131" to support the smaller version of the big body. The Limited wheelbase is 138" and all the difference is right at the back of the rear doors. They are the same all the way from the front bumper to the back of the rear doors. The metal thickness in the frame also increases with length or if the car is a convertible.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest OLBUICKS

Hope some one can help me on this question on a slantback.. I have a 1938 Special Slantback.. What wheel base is it? How many made? I have heard many times over its very rare. JWILSO@HOTMAIL.COM it you want to email me... Thanks John

Guest OLBUICKS

Gramps... Thanks for the reply. Mine is a 4 door. It also has daul side mounts and that make me wonder if it has a longer wheel base.. I was wondering if you might know how many of this type was made.. I live in WV and was at a 3 day Doo Wop car show in Charleston, and several people told me that very few of these cars was made... I've had the car several years and have heard this alot... Thanks for any info...

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OLBUICKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It also has daul side mounts and that make me wonder if it has a longer wheel base.. </div></div>

The side-mount spares don't affect the wheelbase at all. Same fender...just has a huge HOLE cut out of it! laugh.gif

John,

Here is a bit of additional information for you: When a Buick of your vintage had sidemounts installed at the factory, the body data plate was hand stamped with the number "6". The number six indicates that the car has a total of six wheels (the car is provided with two spare wheels). See the attached image of a 1937 Buick body data plate which is stamped with the number six.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138009755_thumb.jpg

John,

FYI - The 2008 BCA Membership Roster has a total of seven 1938 Buick Model 47 Streamline Sport Sedans shown. The seven cars are located in the following five states: AL, CA, IL(2), NV, and VA(2). The two cars in VA are in Alexandria and Manassas.

Grandpa

Guest OLBUICKS

Goood information to know... Gramps.. does any one know how many 2 door and 4 door Streamlines were built? Also are you calling the 2 door a 44 and 4 door 47s? Also I joined the BCA last week so you can add WV to that list... Thanks John

Guest OLBUICKS

Another question on the streamline sport productions... Does any one konw how many 2 door and how many 4 doors of this series was made? thanks John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Teamsterdug

Welcome to the forum John AND welcome to the BCA. Glad you joined us.

From one of the Illinois '38 Model 47 owners Grandpa listed earlier. wink.gif