Need Driver Side Triangular Shaped Window for 89 Reatta Coupe

Guest Dazz

Was woken up early this morning due to my car alarm going off. Ran outside barefoot and in my jammies to shut the alarm off and saw that someone had busted out the small triangular window on the drivers side. Nothing was taken or moved about inside my car, but now I've got alot of glass to clean up and a window to replace.

I assume the punk who did this was looking for car radios or something. There was dew on the car windows and I could clearly see a spot they wiped clean on the passenger side to look inside my car. I also saw part of their hand print on the window not far from the wiped spot. (a mark where their thumb and three fingers were on the glass).

I called the police about it and they told me they would not come out for a car break in. I would have to come to the police station to make out the report or they could call me within the next 3 days to take the report over the phone. I asked if they could take a print from the finger/ hand print on the window, they said no, they dont do that and if they did they'd be doing finger printing all day every day..

What a buncha crud aye?!!

Anyhow.. I am having problems finding the window I need and was told no one could cut the glass to put it in, that I would have to buy the enitre wing window and have it installed.

I recently had surgery and have been unable to work due to surgery recovery, My birthday is in 2 days and I will be almost broke once I get my plates and drivers license renewed, so I dont have very much money left to spend on a window.

If anyone here has or knows where I can get a replacement window cheap, I would appreciate your letting me know.. (its the driver side wing window, but its not a vent window.. it does not open, oh and it looks as if the side mirror is attached to that window too)..

grrr. I would so love to find the person who did this and put a cap in their arse!!

Edited by Dazz (see edit history)

Guest CL_Reatta

Well happy almost birthday.... I would have taken some good pics of the fingerpint myself and keep it and bring it in to the police...atleast they didnt finish the job!

Thank you very much!

I've been calling around all morning to find that window, no one can get me one at a decent price! One place told me they could get one and put it in for $1,000 something or other.. HA! Another place said they could maybe get me one for $169. I will email jim when I get back. Thanks !

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or you can go to a glass shop, bat your eyes and ask them to make a triangular piece of plexiglass and tape it in place. </div></div>

I doubt you would do such a tacky thing to your car Dave, whether you were selling it or not. cool.gif

Guest Bobby Valines

Or maybe if we all pitch in we could buy her a side glass she is not working just had surgery, It would make me feel good to pitch in some money to help somebody out. Jim might have one. What do you guys think?

If you take the door apart you can cut a piece of plexiglass and put it in place. One would hardly know it was replaced. If one could not do it that way, fixing it the way I mentioned before at least gets the hole covered.

Before you think me as callus and uncaring, what you don't know is that when Daz needed a harmonic balancer some time ago she didn't have money to buy a new one, so I contacted Jim to see if I could trade parts to him [an IPC] to have it sent to her for free.

She got one elsewhere, but I tried...

I read on another site somewhere that this guy with a Reatta who needed a vent window went to a glass shop and they cut him a piece of plexiglass or something like that to fit, and they even cut the holes for the mirror to mount up right. Then they sealed it in place with some special waterproof glue sealant. He said he paid $25. But.. the post was made back in 1999.

I have called a few glass places in town here, and they said no, they can't and or won't do that. frown.gif

Your not callous or uncaring. Sure beats the silver duct tape I have covering that open window area right now.. (I had to put something on it to keep the bugs, the critters, and the dew out til I get some plastic up on it or something)..

and yeah I remember that Dave. . I appreciated that too, still do, that was really nice of you and Jim. Very generous. And yeah, by the time you offered I had one on its way here already.

grin.gif yeah, this gallent knight in shining armor sent it to me.. He truely saved the day and my college education too. And I still feel I owe him something big in return!

Just thought I would mention that it is not an easy install, so getting a replacement might be the easiest part of the unfortunate incident repair. I have never attempted replacing the glass in the frame in the car, but have done the entire frame window assembly. It requires removing the door panel unbolting the framework/track assembly, working the large assembly out without tearing up wiring, etc, and then reinstalling the new unit in its place. Good luck.

Dave, Thanks for your support. I thought I did the right thing by throwing up a red flag. Maybe Roger did the right thing in removing the posts. I'm just glad he didn't remove me. I don't want to get thrown off here. I will try to limit my comments to cars in the future.

She got her window and I got to stay on the forum. I guess things worked out well.

Ronnie, you are welcome.

I think that the break in was the last straw on top of all the other stress she had/has in her life. When she saw what you had typed she went off.

Going forward,you are right stick to car issues and leave the comments out, I will try to follow that advice as well...

You have my sincerest appoligies Ronnie. I never ment to come here and start any trouble or drama. I am very sorry for everything that has happened. I really am not one to lose my cool over thingsI admire you for looking out for your friends here on this forum and I really don't blame you for having their back and saying what you think or feel. They are lucky and blessed to have you as such a good friend.

This past month or so has been really bad for me, one really bad blow after another, and I really had no right coming here bringing that bad baggage and my emotions to this forum. I sincerly hope you and the rest of the good people here forgive me.

Guest CL_Reatta

Hi Roni, Welcome, but please post your question starting a new thread, dont hijack this one.... Dazz... I sent you an e-mail on your website, check it out.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." - Thomas Jefferson

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." - Thomas Jefferson

Cheapened words here.

hard to live by.

The administration tools at my disposal are somewhat crude, I jettisoned the thread at the point where I thought it started falling apart.

No one did anything WRONG and no one was ever in danger of banning or any other sanction, just that the thread had become especially unappealing and could be construed by some as.....I dunno....ugly.

I have something of a Reatta sickness, so I have pieces and parts I have accumulated on the cheap over the years collecting dust.

It so happens that I have two complete extra sets of vent windows so giving one window to a (real or fake) damsel in distress is worth more than a dusty part that I'd have to be very very unlucky to need.

Just trying to do a mitzvah (unrewarded good deed)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CLReatta,

Just wanted to let you know I got the email and replied. Havent been on much the past week because I've been busy and sick with the flu. Anyhow, let me know if there is anything special your looking for.

Have a good one and thanks for your intrest in my work!