How Many Are Too Many ?(Miles)

ol' yeller

I have been looking for a nice 90-91 Reatta for several months now. Today I found a car that was in my price range, had everything I wanted (sunroof & CD player), is in my preferred color combo and is in very good condition. It passed the brake test with flying colors, the windshield is good, the original paint has some chips but overall is very nice after 18 years. The interior is clean and in very good condition. Even the steering wheel looks good! The only problem is that it has 145K on the car. I know the 3800 is a great motor. It runs, drives, steers and stops as it should. Could I expect to get another 50-60 on the drivetrain? It appears to be well cared for and the current owner has had it since it had 20K on it. They are asking $3K for it. The only problem I could find was the service AC light was on. I can live with that at this price. What do you guys think? All the Reattas I have looked at are really beat even with 40K fewer miles. I am seriously thinking of getting this one.

Guest jamhudson

Buy it! It sounds like the one I just got with 147,000. I bet the check engine light is the cam sensor magnet. I have a another car with the 3.8 with 258,000 and it runs and sounds as good as ever. Even if you have to work on the engine that is easer than working on a body that is not in very good shape.

Guest jamhudson

Mine is a 1990 Maui Blue Coupe also. Have you bought that car yet. Better call the owner and tell him you will take it.

I have an appointment tomorrow AM. My thought was also that mechanical repair is cheaper and easier then body repair and hunting for interior parts made of unobtainium. I am trying to get a feel for how long could I expect from the drivetrain if it is well maintained. You experience is very helpful. I looked at the car this morning and called him back this afternoon. I guess I have made my decision and now I want to feel good about it

Your first purchase should be a service manual.

If the car is running well with no problems, they make good paper weights. If you have trouble falling asleep, reading them will put you out........and if you have a problem with the car, they are worth their weight in gold.

Guest jamhudson

Yes get the manual. First thing I bought. $96 on ebay with shipping but it is a nice one. I have been a shop owner for 47 years and there is nothing that will replace a factory service manual. Bet someone can point you in the right direction for a online edition.

Guest steveskyhawk

Yeller,

1/2 the useful life for 1/10th the cost new. And nobody else for 1000 miles takes theirs out the same day as you. Sounds like a bargain.

I should have mentioned that this would be my 2nd Reatta. I bought 2 of the service manuals when I had my last Reatta. Unfortunately I think I gave both of them away to fellow Reatta lovers when I sold it. I bought 2 because in my old age dotage, I forgot I had bought one earlier. Such is life... If this pans out tomorrow, I'll be rejoining the Reatta Division and I'll post pics of the new car. Just curious how you knew it was Maui Blue?

Guest jamhudson

Just curious how you knew it was Maui Blue?

I saw 1990 Maui Blue under my own post and thought it was on your post. When you get 70 you may be as bad as me.LOL

Guest CL_Reatta

From what ive noticed, the 3800 has an average life of about 250-300k miles, while the 4T60 has a life of 150-200k. The trans in my reatta lasted until 192k. But it is hard to tell how long these 3800's actually last cuz of the fact that the average person, when the trans in their car goes they will scrap the ENTIRE car incuding the engine so a perfectly good engine then usually goes to the junk yard, wher, it either gets destroyed, ages, etc. or it gets re-sold with unknown mileage... Once had a roofer come to my house with a reatta with 400+k miles original engine, no rebuilds

I too would worry more about the tranny than the engine. If it (the engine) runs solid and quiet, doesn't pass excessive emissions or oil etc. at 145K, then it has likely been properly maintained and should be fine given continued proper maintenance. This is easy enough to check.

I do worry about the 4T60, this is also on my 95 Deville with the 4.9L V8. Many 91-95 Devilles seem to have tranny failure around 150-200K miles. Granted, they are moving an almost 1000 lb. heavier car with a 30hp more powerful engine versus the Reatta, but this transmission isn't particularly known for being rock solid, especially beyond 150,000 miles.

This, I'm sure, is part of the reason the turbo Reatta never made it; the stock 4T60 would have needed a lot of upgrading to stand up to the higher power, or a whole new transmission would have had to be developed.

Hydromatic just didn't have a transverse auto that could take the abuse of a performance car in the early 90's. A manual 5 or 6 speed would have been a logical choice, but would have further limited the car's appeal and thus sales.

The earlier 4T60's (pre 1993) also seem to have more problems with failed shift solenoids and TCC. I guess my point in all this is that I would probably buy the car if it was good and clean and didn't have any apparent engine problems.

I would do so however with the knowledge that I would probably be replacing the transmission within the next 50,000 miles. If it outlasts that expectation (and may very well), great. If not then it was expected anyway. Provided you are comfortable with the possibility of spending for a new transmission during the course of your ownership, then go for it.

KDirk

OK you convinced me. I bought the car this morning. I will be picking it up on Tuesday. The tranny shifts very well with no slippage and the fluid was bright colored with no burn smell. If I could get another 50 K with no major expense it will be well worth the effort. After looking at so many trashy Reattas, some high dollar and some lowbuck, this one stands above them all. The only other problem is that someone installed some Corvette wheels (90's?)on it and they are missing the center caps. I will probably put some aftermarket wheels on it but does anyone have an idea what the Vette wheels would sell for on Craig's List? I don't know if they are desirable or not. Thanks everyone for your help.

Greg

I believe 4t60e is the 91' trany. If you are looking for a replacement, for the 91' only, I would find the HD version even if you are not running any type of beefed up engine. It is geared lower and I believe it is always better to over do it. If the HD trany lasts 200k behind a supercharged engine it should last much longer behind the NA 3800 in the 91' Reatta. All the electronics are interchangeable until around 95'/96' an.d it is a bolt on afai for the 91'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-a-n-i-e-l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3800 should go for a million, the trany may give up around 150k. All depending upon care and driving style </div></div>

Wth a little TLC and proper maintenance you might get as much mileage as this Volvo P1800!!!

Multi-Million Mile Volvo

And it still looks good!

Guest spyhunter2k

After some research, I don't believe the Allante F7 tranny is an option for our Reattas. It is electronically controlled (I think some have thought that this was not an electronically controlled tranny) and the solenoids, once gone, are not produced by anyone.

Greg-

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope it brings you much enjoyment and little aggravation. I can relate to your experience of trying to find one that wasn't beat down. As I've stated before, I spent 9 months searching before I bought my 91. Had several false starts, and numerous disappointments but the wait was worth it.

Daniel,

You are correct on the tranny, I had forgotten about the F7 due to it's singular application in the Allante. Anyway, I didn't mean to make the 4T60 sound like a dog unit, it is actually a very good transmission. Just that it seems to fail before almost about any engine it is attached to.

I consider this more a testament to the exceptional quality of the 3800 and the Cadillac 4.9 in particular, rather than a weakness in the design of the 4T60. Really, an auto transmission is a more complicated and failure prone part than an engine anyway, so I guess this is to be expected.

For clarification, is the HD 4T60 you refer to only usable in the 1990 and prior model years, or is there a specific HD version of the 4T60E used in 1991? I ask because this information may be useful to me at some point if (or more likely when) my original transmission dies.

Any more info you have on this would be appreciated.

KDirk

Guest spyhunter2k

From the Cadillaforums.com's Allante forum here :

<span style="font-style: italic">

QUESTION:

Hiya guys, I'm new here and soon to be proud owner of one of these great cars. I am wondering what is the difference between the '87/'88 transmission and the later ones. Is it correct that the early ones are essentially beefed up 440T4 which do not require a computer to shift while the later ones are 4T60E's which do require a computer to shift? If the early transmission failed could it be replaced with one from an '87 park ave or Lumina etc. Those cars ran non-electronic shift 440T4's. Thanks for any info!

ANSWER:

"Is it correct that the early ones are essentially beefed up 440T4 which do not require a computer to shift?"

The answer to this question is no. The Allante's have a F7 transmission which is similar to the 440T4 transmission but has an electronic valve body and some other differences including and extra 4th gear clutch, etc. Because of the electronic valve body, it requires a computer to shift.

"If the early transmission failed could it be replaced with one from an '87 park ave or Lumina etc. Those cars ran non-electronic shift 440T4's."

Yes it could but your car would set codes. You might also experience some drivability issues as well.

</span>

I'm not saying that the internals of an F7 couldn't be used in some way, just that per Allante owners the early Allante trannys (the F7s) were elctronically-controlled. That wasn't the only page that I came across that mentioned this--it's just the only one I could find in a couple of minutes.

Our 88-90' Reattas will run the F7 Allante trany. The Allte never went to a fully electronic shift trany, at least that is what the hollander interchange manual said. The F7 is the same bolt pattern and

Now the electronic 4T60E-HD, found in the supercharged 3800 up to 95/6ish would be the best swap for a 91' Reatta. The 91' has fully electronic shifting.

Guest CL_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steakneggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did he put the ladder? Steak </div></div>

Haha, he was just giving a quote at the time... now back to your guy's tec-in-ni-kal trans talk

Guest TheNewDamage

My '90 Reatta had 71k when I bought it a bit over a year ago. The lady I bought it from was the daughter of the original owner and it has been babied its entire life. It now has 74k miles and I just gave it to my son. I just bought a 2002 Mercedes SLK320 which is also very low miles at 37k and if it follows Mercedes tradition it should last a long long time as well.

145,000 shouldn't be a problem if the car is good. Mine had 137,000 when I bought it 5 1/2 years ago. It now has 217,000 and going strong. I did have to rebuild the transmission ($1300), but that's been the only expensive repair. It grew up in Florida and Texas, so rust wasn't a problem.