fuel pump vs. vacuum tank...from another novice

vergil

My '16 came equipped with an electric fuel pump which worked just fine until it died. I installed a new one as well as a pressure gauge. The car won't start unless the gauge is set at 3, but that's too much pressure. Anything lower, it just dies out.

I finally got around to taking the vacuum tank apart and am wondering why a previous owner would have disconnected it. It sure looks good on the inside-no pitting or float leaks. What I'm missing are the fuel line and manifold fittings.

Any help with either of these problems is greatly appreciated!

Bill

Some guys just are under the false impression that vacumm fuel pumps are unreliable. I had a friend that would just automatically put an electric fuel pump and regulator on anything that he got with a vacumm type fuel system and then complain about trying to adjust it. If everything is right, the original will work for years. wink.gif Dave!

I think the fitting that threads into the manifold is either 1/8th or 1/4 th common pipe thread. The easiest way to tell is to find a pipe plug that fits the manifold. You shoud beable to get a fitting from a local auto parts store that will fit the diameter of the tube that fits your tank. I think the most common is 5/16th, although it could be 1/4th, copper tubing. Take both the tank and the pipe plug with you to match up the line and fitting that you need. Dandy Dave!

Thanks, Dave!

I was able to get the nipple and flare fittings as well.

Now it's just a question of finding the time to do the proper installation.

All of you guys have been a great help to me over the past year as I get this machine fine tuned. Need to replace the oil pan and related gaskets (next week, hopefully) then the vacuum tank and then it's off to the paint shop.