Thin Gasket Paper?

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

My 1921 Peugeot transmission is sealed with an .006" gasket. I can't seem to locate gasket paper this thin (1/64" is as small as I've found). Could I use a regular writing or wrapping paper of the correct size, or must I get a special gasket paper?

Phil

I would think regular wrapping paper would work. That or a brown paper bag. I used to use cereal boxes for gasket material and am not above using it now.

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

Hi Phil,

They do have a roll of brown wrapping paper at work next to

the rolls of Garlock gasket material, so apparently it is

widely used for gaskets..

Thanks,

Joe

Guest VeloMan

The rest of the story:

I was advised to use plain brown wrapping paper, but I'd also written to a gasket supplier who said they stocked .006 gasket paper. The price: $2 a square foot, so I figured I'd play it safe and get the right paper for the job. Seventeen dollars later, the package arrived. I opened it, happy to finally find correct material. I opened the box and found... plain brown wrapping paper. I obviously have a lot of lessons left to learn in car restoration!

Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> plain brown wrapping paper</div></div>

Now that's funny! I hope they at least kissed you and told you how much they loved you........Bob

• 2 months later...
Guest gwatrac

I have been looking for thin paper gasket material to use for sealing and setting the correct height for the top of the wet sleeves on my 1948 Citroen engine. I need 0.004" (0.10mm) thickness to bring them from 0.001" below up to the specified 0.002-0.004" higher than the block. An On-line search has given no results. I have 0.004" thick printer paper and I recently received a vellum paper envelope in the mail that is 0.0035" thick and looks right as a gasket material. Does anyone know how the vellum paper will hold up vs typing paper in this application? (located between the sleeve flange and the block, forming the seal between the coolant and the crankcase). I intend to use Hylomar Advanced Formula gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket, it adds no thickness but maybe will protect the paper. Does anyone have experience with materials like this?